It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

Paramount - moving ranks to different chambers

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Paramount - moving ranks to different chambers

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm just taking my very first steps with Hauptwerk – experimenting with the free version and the equally free version of the Paramount Wurlitzer; so apologies if some of my queries are elementary, or in the wrong section of this forum. What I most want to know just now is whether there's a way to move stops on the Paramount instrument from the Main to the Solo chambers? I'd like the English Horn, Tuba Horn and Clarinet to be in the Solo rather than the Main chamber.

Thanks in advance :-)

toplayer2

Re: Paramount - moving ranks to different chambers

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid it isn't possible to switch chambers with Hauptwerk Free Edition or Basic Addition. With Advanced Edition one could route the English Horn, Tuba Horn, and Clarinet to a second set of speakers and reverse the channels.

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

organsRgreat

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks Joe – I appreciate being advised by one of the designers, especially in the free section of this forum.

1. Presumably I would set speaker routing in the panel “Rank Audio/Memory Options and Routing”?

2. In which case I need a sound card with multiple outputs?

3. Which swell pedal would control the reassigned ranks – or is this set in Hauptwerk?

4. Why do you advise “reverse the channels”? Is it because the Solo ranks sound predominantly from one side, and Main ranks from the other?

toplayer2

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 7:25 pm

organsRgreat wrote:Thanks Joe – I appreciate being advised by one of the designers, especially in the free section of this forum.

1. Presumably I would set speaker routing in the panel “Rank Audio/Memory Options and Routing”?

2. In which case I need a sound card with multiple outputs?

3. Which swell pedal would control the reassigned ranks – or is this set in Hauptwerk?

4. Why do you advise “reverse the channels”? Is it because the Solo ranks sound predominantly from one side, and Main ranks from the other?

You're welcome.

Only Hauptwerk AE offers support for more than two audio channels. You are correct that the Main and Solo position is achieved virtually in the stereo signal. To move the apparent position of a rank to the opposite side would require reversing left and right channels for that rank. The swell associations are hard coded in the ODF and thus cannot be changed by the end user.

Best regards,

Joe

organsRgreat

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 am

Hello Joe,

I've just emailed the Hauptwerk team to find out about setting up the Advanced Edition here in England. Once I have that, would the CODM - Custom Organ Design Module – enable me to choose which ranks are controlled by which Swell pedal? I realise I'd have to “rebuild” the organ, which would be time-consuming; but worthwhile for me musically.

Thanks.

steve till

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:40 am

I want to know this too.
And can additional ranks that I might already own be added to the 320?
And conversely, I would like to add some theater organ ranks
added to a church organ, as they are at my church.

toplayer2

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 11:39 am

Hello,

So long as the user has the license enabled for the 320, 332, or 450, it is possible to use ranks in a CODM (no license is required for the free model 310). The same is true for the Virginia Theatre, Masterworks, and Connoisseur organs. You can choose ranks from different suppliers or use your own.

Developing a CODM can be very challenging for non-programmers. This is especially the case for theatre organs. Paramount ODFs have thousands of lines of XML code.

Joe

steve till

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Thank you Joe.
I will be purchasing the 3/20.
I have heard several excellent installations around here.
Cheer!

wurlitzerwilly

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 am

organsRgreat wrote:Hello Joe,

I've just emailed the Hauptwerk team to find out about setting up the Advanced Edition here in England. Once I have that, would the CODM - Custom Organ Design Module – enable me to choose which ranks are controlled by which Swell pedal? I realise I'd have to “rebuild” the organ, which would be time-consuming; but worthwhile for me musically.

Thanks.

Whilst it is possible to partly rebuild a Paramount organ using a CODM file, there are many things that the CODM does not cater for, so unless you use the full database facility and are competent at programming in general, you would lose many of the advanced facilities that Paramount ODFs offer. I would not want to see you launch into a CODM file, which would take quite a few hours to implement, only to find that you hit a brick wall when it came to all of the things that a full Theatre Organ is expected to do.

Better to take up Joe's suggestion regarding re-routing and just do what most organists do - bridge the Main and Solo expression pedals with the right foot, then it won't matter which pedal is controlling which chamber.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

organsRgreat

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:54 am

I was in hospital during December, and unable to continue following these suggestions, but thanks for clarifying the picture. I think I may have found a "lateral thinking" solution, but first let me explain why I want to move those three reeds into the Solo chamber.

The Tuba Horn in particular is one of the most useful melody voices, and within the Main chamber could probably be accompanied by the Concert Flutes at 8 and 4ft. But what if the music requires that I add to the accompaniment, say, the Gamba at 8 and 4, plus the corresponding celestes? Easy enough to tweak the balance with swell pedals if the Tuba Horn is in a separate chamber, but otherwise the accompaniment is going to dominate.

Would this work as a solution . ? . I have upgraded to the Advanced edition of Hauptwerk, and purchased the Paramount 320; I run these on my main computer. I also have a backup computer, which happily runs the free edition of Hauptwerk plus the Paramount 310. I'm thinking of running both computers simultaneously, but getting Hauptwerk to auto detect the Solo swell pedal on the backup computer, for the Main chamber voices.

Provided I keep a clear head when setting pistons, that should put voices in the Main chamber on the backup computer, under control of the Solo swell pedal. All my audio outputs feed a large analogue mixer, so there's no problem routing voices to appropriate channels.

Does this make sense, or have I missed something vital?

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)