It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:28 am

How much latency can I expect?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

cthart

How much latency can I expect?

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 3:48 am

Hi,

I'm trialling Hauptwerk at present using the Free Edition on my old work laptop (Dell D830) with a very high-end processor for its time (Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz) and the built-in audio (Sigmatel something).

I've had a lot of fun last night trying demo sample sets of Velesovo, St Maximin and St Michel en Thiérache.

What's annoying me now is the decidedly pneumatic-action feel presumably caused by the latency of the audio (set at 2048 "something", equivalent to 46ms apparently).

Tonight I'm going to try ASIO4ALL to see if that helps things (if it works under my "workstation" install of Windows Server 2008 R2).

What can I reasonably expect with a "professional" audio card and an ASIO driver? Does this pneumatic-action feeling go away? Is my older CPU hurting me too? I don't recall experiencing anything like it with any of the traditional digital and analog electronic organs that I've played.

Cheers,

Colin

jkinkennon

Re: How much latency can I expect?

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 am

It's normal to have no perceptible delay in the audio using a quality sound card with ASIO drivers. Aim for getting that 2048 figure down to 512 for about 11ms. There are other delays, usually significantly smaller than the delay through the audio interface. I'm guessing that the computer will be OK for trying out the smaller sample sets. I've used a similar laptop for testing but haven't had a decent audio interface attached.

cthart

Re: How much latency can I expect?

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 am

OK, I'm home again after work and can answer my own question! :-)

Like jkinkennon says, the buffer size can be reduced dramatically with ASIO drivers, or, as if by magic, using ASIO4ALL. In my case I downloaded and installed this and after I figured out how to configure the outputs in Advanced mode I have managed to configure Hauptwerk to use a buffer size of just 256 samples which translates to 6ms or less. Now I don't notice any sluggishness at all when playing!

ASIO4ALL (free!) is here: http://www.asio4all.com/

Now I just need to find myself a (some!) better keyboard(s)!

Cheers,

Colin

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)