It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 pm

2 manual harpsichord

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Stuart Yates

2 manual harpsichord

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 am

I have just migrated from pc to Mac and cannot replicate the arrangement I had to disable the upper manual of a 2 manual harpsichord. The lower manual has an 8' and a 4' which keys on the keyboard switch on and off. No problem. The upper manual has an 8' and a Buff stop, which on a physical harpsichord are toggled by a sliding lever, the upper manual is disabled physically by the sliding coupler. On the software instrument, either the 8' or the Buff are always on, so both need to be turned off in order just to hear the lower manual stops. The use of floating divisions resolved this on the pc but so far all I do produces the same result: either the upper 8' or Buff are on and the upper manual is not switched off.

Would welcome any help on resolving this.

James

Re: 2 manual harpsichord

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Which harpsichord sampleset do you have?

Stuart Yates

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:34 pm

The Ruckers from Sonus Paradisi

James

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I have the Ruckers, and yes, it works the same for me, though I have the two manuals to play it as it is. I do not know how to do the floating manuals, so can not help. Sorry.....

Martin_Dümig

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 am

Hello Stuart,

the real Instrument only has one set of strings, so there is no switch to disable this stop. You can only move the buff-rod to switch between damped and free strings. I expect the sample set producer to resemble this behaviour.

Your description sounds like you want to play the instrument with only one keyboard. What about using the built in coupler of HW to play the upper manual from the lower?

Regards - Martin
You can play Bach on every organ.

Stuart Yates

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 am

Thank you for your replies. I have been distracted by other things but have tried again and failed again. the Buff and upper 8 just flip/flop and I cannot find a way of switching the whole manual off. I don't know if the version of HW is different from the version on the pc but whenever I try to configure the 2nd manual - whichever order I do it - it either clears the first manual settings or makes both manuals follow the same settings.

Martin - re the coupler. I have configured the coupler to switch on and off from the keyboard, but it is ineffective as, again, the upper manual is always on anyway.

Any other thoughts very welcome.

gerrit

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 2:36 pm

If you use the coupler, you don't have to configure the 2nd manual. If you configure both manuals to be played from the same keyboard, then of course the coupler has no use anymore and the 2nd manual is always on. But of you only configure the 1st manual to be played from your keyboard, you can use the coupler to couple the 2nd manual to it and to uncouple it again.
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

Stuart Yates

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 am

Many thanks for this. I thought I had tried this and failed, but when I reset the whole instrument and then specified the lower manual, the midi triggers etc it worked. I now have a Ruckers which I can play "as normal', changing any of the stops from the keyboard.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)