It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

VST link Midi bug, or howe to reverse keys

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

chilly

VST link Midi bug, or howe to reverse keys

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:42 am

Hello

Excuse us for a bed English, i am not a native speaker.

I am really looking forward to purchase Hauptwerk and i already downloaded the free version and i have a technical problem with which i am am not abe to use it.

I am a left handed keyboard player and i use Bome's Midi Translator to reverse midi protocol for my Novation 61SL MKII keyboard. Awrything works great, but exemption is Hauptwerk.
And here is the problem.

Yes, Huptwerk sees and reconise Bome's Midi Translator by using Hauptwerk as VST link in Ableton Live, but the problem is that:

1) i have only one keyboard and i want by switching midi channel nuber to switch organ register. So i in Haputwerk assigned Great to midi chanell # 1 and Sweal to midi chanell # 2, but the problem is that no metter what midi chanell sends to Hauptwerk it always seas as Midi chanell number #1. So in short if i use midi chenell number 2 on my midi controller , Hauptwerk still seas it as midi chell # 1. I think it is a bug, can anybody conerm it and fix?!

Thank u

P.s. Also, i beive if it would be possible to reverse keys on my midi controller with in Hauptwerk( because i am left handed keyboard player) there would not be that much hassel, can u do it in Hauptwerk?

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: VST link Midi bug, or howe to reverse keys

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:29 am

How are you assigning your keyboards to Hauptwerk to set the MIDI channels? You need to auto-detect your keyboard and when doing this there is no mistake in what MIDI channel the keyboard is sending and what Hauptwerk detects. See page 42 of the Hauptwerk user guide as well as our MIDI connection tutorials at http://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials ... to-detect/. Also make sure you have ticked the MIDI port input under Console MIDI IN, not the Sequencer MIDI IN.

If you want to switch between virtual manuals from a single keyboard then you can follow the instructions in the Hauptwerk user guide starting on page 107 for setting up floating divisions which is what this option is meant for. You shouldn't need to be changing MIDI channels on the fly on your keyboard (although Hauptwerk could be set to accept that but it isn't normal).

Hauptwerk simply uses MIDI note on/off for the input. If your keyboard is reversed or if you are having the translator reverse MIDI notes (low C being on the far right) then that MIDI note must be sending note 36 in order to play the low C key in Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk doesn't have an option to reverse the keyboard in this way so you would need to see how to best make your keyboard notes send the proper MIDI note messages and in the order you want them to to match the standard MIDI protocol.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

chilly

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 am

Hello
Thank u for the quick replay.

i am looking for purchase Hauptwerk 4 but i cannot if this problem persist.

Here is the chain

my keybard controller--> Bome's Midi Translator--> Ableton Live--> Hauptwerk VST link--> Hauptwerk.

In Hauptwerk i select
General setings->Midi port i select Hauptwerk AU/ VST link and put a bird on Console Midi in
in Organ setting-> keyboards
Sweal
Midi in port: Hauptwerk AU/ VST
Midi Chenel: Chan 01
Great
Midi in port: Hauptwerk AU/ VST
Midi Chenel: Chan 02

but i did my test and no metter what midi chenel number is send to Hauptwer VST link by Ableton , Hauptwerk still seas is as midi chenel number 1.
I think it is a bug.

I us Mac by the way.

I think it would be much more easer to explain for me if i could post some screen shots how awrything is set up if u have a problem understanding me, but i do not see an option to post screen shorts here on forum.

Thank ü

chilly

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 3:30 am

Hello, that wat u adviced about Floating devision which are on manual page number 107 helped me to overcome my dificulty and now my poblemem is solved., but i can help you to track the bug when Hauptwerk VST link, no metter what midi chenel send to it it always sees as midi chenel number 1 if u want.

Thank ü very much!!!

now Hauptwerk is on my purchase list! :D

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Please go in Hauptwerk to View | Large floating control panels | Audio MIDI and performance... then play your keyboard. Look at the MIDI input LEDs and let me know which light up. If you see channel 1 then your keyboard is still sending on channel 1 and you will need to determine how to change it if you still want to try this method. This isn't a bug in Hauptwerk as Hauptwerk will only map a MIDI channel according to how you assign it.

Also please verify that you are using the Console MIDI input under General settings | MIDI ports and not the Sequencer MIDI input as the Sequencer MIDI input settings are fixed and cannot be changed. See page 174 of the Hauptwerk user guide for further information about this if need be.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)