It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Hauptwerk Recognizes the Interface, Organ silent

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

CallDon

Hauptwerk Recognizes the Interface, Organ silent

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I installed Hauptwerk from the disk and am using the demo version. I also downloaded the Paramount organ to test it with in addition to the included organ.

Hauptwerk recognizes my midi-interface, the M-Audio Uno MIDI Interface. I have used this setup before with Miditizer and it worked fine. But the organs are not responding. The little green light at the lower right of the Hauptwerk screen responds to key presses. But the organ itself is silent. No notes played and no notes sound.

The console is a Yamaha HX. I bought it specifically to use with Miditzer and eventually Hauptwerk. Worked fine with Miditzer when I got the channels correct for the keyboards/pedals . Any suggestions?

???
DonVideos.com
Some MidiTzer, Hauptwerk and Other Organ Videos
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

johnh

Re: Hauptwerk Recognizes the Interface, Organ silent

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Did you go through the auto-detect process to configure your keyboards?

---john.

ggoode_sa

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 2:35 am

Hi,

When you play notes on the Yamaha HX keyboards, change to the Paramount 310 Console View in Hauptwerk and see if the key presses are mirrored on the virtual keyboards. If they are not, then you need to re-setup your MIDI configuration by using the 'right-click on the virtual keyboard and auto sense the MIDI' function. If the key presses are mirrored, and Stops are down on the Stops view for that manual, then you have an Audio problem and we'll need more information about the computer, operating system, and sound device that you're using.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

CallDon

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am

I can press keys with the mouse. But key presses are not detected by the onscreen keyboard.

The software detects the interface. Like I said, when keys are pressed on the Yamaha HX console, the little green midi light in the lower right corner of the Hauptwerk screen lights up. The software is detecting the signal, but neither the Paramount organ nor St. Ann's organ is responding.

Hauptwerk demo version
M-Audio Uno Sport interface
Vista os
Sony Vaio laptop
DonVideos.com
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

NickNelson

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 am

CallDon wrote: the little green midi light in the lower right corner of the Hauptwerk screen lights up.

The light may indicate that the HW console is receiving MIDI, it doesn't necessarily mean that HW knows what to do with it.

Have you auto detected the keyboards (as John and Graham have both already suggested)?

Nick

engrssc

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 9:47 am

Check out these tutorials: http://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-midi/2013/06/01/midi-learn-auto-detect/ as well as the Instruction Manual included with the software.

Rgds,
Ed

joeroberts

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 5:06 pm

calldon..i have a technics fa-1......maybe most of our controls are similar.......

did you try.....

select midi button...then choose basic channel(s) for each keyboard....making sure those channels match what you have selected in the HP keyboard setup.....

make sure ALL control messages are ON

ALL realtime messages ON

general midi mode OFF

maybe this is oversimplified.....but I learned it all by trial and error....
keep on truckin'

joeroberts

CallDon

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 am

I got it working. I just had to do the right-click, midi recognition thingfor tthe manuals and pedals. It also worked great for the generals. So far, I love it.

PROBLEM:
I've had several ciphers. The console itself has never had stuck notes before. But to end the ciphers, I would repeatedly press the keys and the cipher would finally stop.

Any solution or thought on the cipher?

Thanks,
Don
DonVideos.com
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

James

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 am

On the cibhers: I suspect the M-Audio uno Midi interface. I started out with one back in the dark ages, and it gave me nothing but trouble. It is also not recommended by the Hauptwerk suggested hardware.
James

1961TC4ME

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

James wrote:On the cibhers: I suspect the M-Audio uno Midi interface. I started out with one back in the dark ages, and it gave me nothing but trouble. It is also not recommended by the Hauptwerk suggested hardware.
James

I will second that. Although I use the lowly Uno for my pedal board interface and it works fine, keyboards are a different story and seem to push the Uno beyond it's limits and I've read of much trouble here on the forum concerning the use of them. I did also learn though that a certain range of serial numbers for the Uno were the most troublesome. Being my keyboards are USB powered I wouldn't know what to recommend vs. the Uno, but I'm sure someone in the know here will give a good alternative.

It is also possible the ciphers could be caused by a certain setting in your computer, such as automatic updates being turned on, this caused problems for me until I turned it off, now no issues at all.

Marc

CallDon

UPDATE: Hauptwerk Recognizes the Interface, Organ silent

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm

UPDATE:
So I bought the M-Audio MIDISport 2x2 Anniversary Edition. Connected everything and the Hauptwerk doesn't see it. So I tried the Sport Uno again. The computer sees it, Hauptwerk sees it but I could not get the auto-recognition to recognize the keys.

Under General settings>Midi ports it would only show "Hauptwerk VST link" and no interface.
The little green light, lower right, is not responding at all.

Everything is connected, I Have rebooted several times in various orders to see if it will recognize it. From device manager, I uninstalled the interface and rebooted to allow it to reinstall it. Still, the software is not recognizing the interface.

Vista
Hauptwerk demo version 4.0.0
Yamaha HX
M-Audio MIDISport 2x2 Anniversary Edition
MidiSport UNO also.

Suggestions?
DonVideos.com
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

organtechnology

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

If your tropical island has broadband to connect to the computer, it would be possible to examine your setup remotely and discover what is happening. The first hour is free :)

It sounds like you may be plugged into a USB3 port and there is no USB3 driver installed or if there is, it does not work with the 2x2 interface. I have used a lot of these and never encountered a problem such as this.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

CallDon

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Thomas, thanks for the suggestion. The computer only has usb2 ports. It'sa Sony Vaio, around three y ears old, running Vista. I had it working last week (2 weeks ago) with the sport Uno. ButiI couldn't get it working yesterday. I'm going by tomorrow and try it again. If can't get it going then, Sunday we will be having an organ concert and two silent shorts accompanied by the pianoinste ad of the theatre organ.

BTW, I'm in Dallas also. Concert/movie Sunday afternoon.
DonVideos.com
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

ggoode_sa

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 5:53 am

Hi,

Perhaps download the latest Vista drivers from the M-Audio site (http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT2x2AnniversaryEdition.html the click on the Drivers and Updates link in the top right portion of the page).

There is a driver and a firmware update available.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

CallDon

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Thomas and Graham,
This afternoon I went by to set up everything and try again. When I looked under "General>midi inputs... There it was. SoiI continued and everything worked just like it is supposed to. I couldn't believe it, since I changed nothing from Wednesday when I tried it.

So, it looks like everything is GO for Sunday Afternoon. If you are in Dallas, it will be at 2:30pm
New Covenant Presbyterian Church
2525 North Buckner at Ferguson.

I'm not using many special effects and only two manuals. Plus, a couple of silent shorts, a 1-reeler and a 3-reeler. Christmas movies from the early 20th century.

Thanks for the advice.
Don
DonVideos.com
------
Airstream FM
Classic Easy Listening
Beautiful Music Radio

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)