It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:41 pm

Apparent CPU status contradiction

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

manuel

Apparent CPU status contradiction

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Hello, the CPU meter in HW seems to suggest it is frequently near maximum. However, Windows own performance meter shows only low to moderate levels of CPU activity.

WinXP Pro; 3.00 Mhz hyperthreaded CPU (listed as 2 x 3Mhz processors in system devices); 4 gb RAM

Any ideas?

I realise that, should I decide to get onto the virtual route, I would need to consider seriously the upgrade of ICT equipment.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Apparent CPU status contradiction

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:41 pm

The Windows Task Manager meter does not relate directly to audio performance like the Hauptwerk meter does. Page 127 of the Hauptwerk 4.0.0 user guide covers the CPU meter:

CPU - The meter indicates the approximate estimated peak audio CPU load/stress. Red indicates audio CPU overload or audio driver synchronisation issues and likely audio glitches (try reducing the polyphony limit, increase the audio buffer size, or check for updated audio drivers). More specifically, the meter shows the amount of time that Hauptwerk is taking to calculate each chunk of audio as a fraction of the amount of time the audio driver has allowed Hauptwerk to do it. Note: the meter doesn't show the same thing as the operating system's overall CPU usage figures. Hauptwerk's CPU meter is specifically designed to show the risk of audio glitches, which is heavily dependent on audio driver performance and the performance of other computer hardware/driver components, as well as overall loads on the computer's CPU(s).

If using Windows Direct Sound drivers then the CPU usage will be higher, we recommend using a quality audio interface with ASIO drivers for optimum performance.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)