It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Terrible performance from new system

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Mick Berg

Terrible performance from new system

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi.
I decided to upgrade my Hauptwerk computer, in an attempt to arouse my somewhat flagging interest in the organ, and as a kind of present after a serious illness last year. But the results are hugely disappointing.

The old system was Windows XP 32 bit, 2 gigs memory, 2Ghz CPU, SoundBlaster soundcard and KX project software, and Hauptwerk Version 2.
The only problem I would have was the occasional glitch, when I was playing a lot of pipes at once. Quite acceptable, and no noticeable latency.

The new system is Windows 7 64bit, 8 gigs memory, 3.9 Dual Core AMD CPU, still the SoundBlaster and KX software (because I like it so much.) and Hauptwerk Version 4. This computer performs well in non-Hauptwerk applications.

I get unusable latency (has to be set to 1024 or the sound disintegrates completely. But it's so slow it's unplayable.
There is constant rhythmic audio glitching in the background that comes and goes regularly
The audio distorts at much lower volume than before.
KX Project has crashed quite a few times. It NEVER crashed with the old system. It's as if there is some kind of digital feedback going on. The CPU meter goes into the red constantly.
I've tried it with the free edition, and in evaluation modes. Thank goodness I didn't lay out the money to purchase Hauptwerk 4 yet, although if things went well, I would willingly do that.

What have I done to deserve this? I have followed all the advice in the article on audio optimization and everything seems OK. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick Berg.

polikimre

Re: Terrible performance from new system

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Probably your Soundblaster doesn't have good 64 bit asio drivers.

Mick Berg

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:07 pm

polikimre wrote:Probably your Soundblaster doesn't have good 64 bit asio drivers.

I will check to see if there are ASIO drivers for the KX project. I thought it was ASIO.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

mdyde

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 5:06 am

Hello Mick,

Definitely make sure you have the latest BIOS version for the motherboard, all current Windows updates installed, the latest manufacturer-supplied SoundBlaster driver for 64-bit Windows 7 installed, and the manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver selected in Hauptwerk (not DirectSound, or third-party drivers, which in my experience rarely give as good performance as the manufacturer's driver). Also check the PC for DPC latency (as covered in the PC performance troubleshooting section in the user guide).

I'd also highly recommend getting a semi-pro/pro audio audio interface with good ASIO drivers. SoundBlasters are mainly designed for computer games and home multi-media, rather than for low-latency 'pro audio' applications like Hauptwerk. E.g. the M-Audio 2496 or 1010LT are popular units that usually give very good performance and audio quality for their relatively modest prices (they're also readily available second-hand).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Mick Berg

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks Martin.
I've done most of those things, will do the PC latency check.
I guess my beloved KX project will have to go. That came from my PCOrgan project years ago,when I had three soundcards in the computer.
I have an Edirol UA20 interface that I will try. I'd like to avoid any more expense if possible.
Thanks,
Mick.

Mick Berg

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Well, I have good news. :D

I installed my Edirol UA 20, that has been lying around for a long time, unused. It has ASIO drivers, and by sheer luck a MIDI interface.

It is chalk and cheese! Sound is clear and loud. The CPU meter hardly ever reads anything. No glitches or distortion or lockups. As I had hoped, the organ sounds better than it ever did.

However I miss the versatility of the KX system. I could do all kinds of neat stuff with it. The UA20 is primarily a recording device. It is very bare-bones, with no bells and whistles. I have no way of adding any reverb to the sound, and I have "butt shakers" mounted in the bench, that need a subwoofer signal.

I'm wondering if I could send the Edirol's output to the line input of the computer's motherboard-based audio system. Would it work to have both audio devices going at once?

Thanks for efforts to help,

Mick Berg.

GrahamH

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 9:17 am

Hello Mick

I used to use Soundblaster Live! and Creative Audigy sound cards a few years ago before I acquired Hauptwerk, but I found that once I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista and subsequently to Windows 7 64 bit, the kX project drivers would no longer work. I managed to find some (Creative) drivers that allow me to use an Audigy soundcard and sound fonts on my Vista machine but they only seem to give limited functionality, they don't like more than 4 GB of RAM (even with 64 bit Vista) and they don't support the famous EAX.
For my Windows 7 Hauptwerk v 4 system I bought a Cakewalk (formerly Edirol) UA-25EX interface which is essentially the same as your Edirol UA-20. It works very well through my 2.1 stereo system because I have an active filter unit (kindly made by a friend who is good with electronics) interposed between the UA-25EX's output and my amplifiers to provide a solution for the subwoofer.

Whether you could feed your Edirol output into the line input of your new coomputer's sound chip is something you could find out by experiment, but I think you would be disappointed with the result.

If you are really attached to the effects available via the kX drivers and your Soundblaster card, you could consider using your old Windows XP machine as a sort-of "effects box" by feeding the output of your Edirol interface to the line-in of your Soundblaster card.

Graham

Mick Berg

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

GrahamH wrote:Hello Mick

snip.....................
If you are really attached to the effects available via the kX drivers and your Soundblaster card, you could consider using your old Windows XP machine as a sort-of "effects box" by feeding the output of your Edirol interface to the line-in of your Soundblaster card............................

Graham

Graham, you read my mind, or I read yours. The old computer parts were just lying around, so I bought a very cheap case ($20.00, Riptide, very good value) and am in process of setting it up with KX project in all its glory, just to handle the audio. The organ computer will have nothing on it apart from Hauptwerk, the Edirol driver and maybe the MYCO custom organ program if I can make head or tail of it.

I wish I could do a digital connection between the organ and the sound computer. The Edirol has a TOSLink output, but the SB card I have (SB0220 Live 5.1) has only SPDIF. I guess I would have to find a sound card with a TOSLink input. Is there such a beast?

Thanks for your suggestion!

Mick.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)