It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

No sound (but the keys are pressed)

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Mathijs

Re: No sound (but the keys are pressed)

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:51 pm

I decided to try the trial version of HW advanced. Now I at least managed to get HW to produce some sound: the triange chime works fine! Unfortunately that is all that sounds.

I'll try again when I have the new sounds card. Thanks anyway for your help.

NickNelson

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 pm

A bit of a long shot, but you have pulled one or more stops?

Nick

josq

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 3:25 pm

OK, so Mathijs bought much of his equipment from me, including his PC. I've been using it for Hauptwerk. Before the sale, I think I reset Hauptwerk to factory defaults. Mathijs seems to use the on-board sound card, I can't remember I used it because I had an external one.

Is it a possibility that I removed some required software for the soundcard while cleaning the PC before selling it? Or is all necessary software included in Windows 7?

I guess that for sound quality Mathijs has to switch to an external sound card at some point in time, and maybe he can circumvent the problem that way. But I can imagine that for testing purposes it is convenient to begin without, and as Mathijs can play CD's on the PC, it should also work with Hauptwerk right? And because he does see the key presses in Hauptwerk the problem should be in the audio chain.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Yeah, if he's got sound using the CD drive or switching over to the advanced trial version, that tells me all is fine with the on-board soundcard and it's drivers, it's just something in the settings being overlooked in the free version. Since I have not used the free version in a very long time, do you still have to set up an audio group in order for it to work properly, or does HW just recognize 1 / 2 and automatically set it as the defualt?

Nick may be on to something I didn't think of, perhaps some but not all of the stops are sounding? If they haven't loaded, they won't sound. If I recall correctly, when you go down the rank table you have to make sure you select "yes, load this rank" (or something to that effect) for each rank in order to load them, maybe he just hasn't actually loaded some or all of the ranks?

Marc

engrssc

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 6:42 pm

You do have to high light the ranks you want in order to select them. Has he tried using a mouse to activate the keys and stops? Is the expression pedal open altho I think the default setting is full open. Is it one stop or all stops? Which sample set? Is there any sound coming out of the head phone jack?

I sometimes can't hear the audio on some You Tube videos even tho CD's do sound. Have to change Media Player settings. Not sure how they get changed as I don't do it.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 pm

If there's one thing I've learned about the rank table, one can not just assume that they will automatically load as you want them to. Besides checking / choosing all the other things here depending your set-up and desires, I go rank by rank to assure each is indeed selected to load.

Marc

engrssc

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 am

Plus now you can select the rank (or sound) highest on the list and select any or all just by holding down the left mouse button and going down the list, all in one "swoop". Same thing available on a touch screen.

This software can do just about anything (except pay the bills). :wink: I smile at the ads on tv that say "Call or click today". That wouldn't apply 20 years ago, no one would know what "they" were talking about.

Rgds,
Ed

Mathijs

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 2:48 am

My firstborn child will be named Marc! I have sound!

Apparently I loaded the organ without loading any stops! I have no idea why it would do this and if this was me being stupid or Hauptwerk being weird. When the organ loaded almost instantly, I thought it was just because the desktop computer was much quicker than my laptop...

I'm so happy!

1961TC4ME

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Mathijs wrote:My firstborn child will be named Marc! ..... When the organ loaded almost instantly, I thought it was just because the desktop computer was much quicker than my laptop.

Ha!

We can thank Nick for providing the clue that got me thinking about the stops and if they were actually loading.

One of the next questions I was about to ask was if the organ loaded REALLY fast, pretty much a dead give-away stops are not loading, although we'd rather think the organ is loading so fast just because we have the all new hot rod computer on Nitrous. :wink:

In any case glad to hear you got it working! :D

Marc

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 5:30 pm

FYI, an organ will never default to have none of the ranks selected. All ranks are always set to 'Yes' for the 'Rank enabled?' option by default the first time you load an organ so you must have selected them all at some point and set them to 'No' for the 'Rank enabled?' option.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
Previous

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)