It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm

No sound (but the keys are pressed)

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: No sound (but the keys are pressed)

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:44 am

Under 'General settings | Audio outputs' make sure Device channel 1 and 2 are not set to <none>. You need to have them set to channels 1 and 2 for each line respectively for stereo output.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:45 am

I see Brett and I posted at the same time. Trust me it's just something simple we're missing here. In the HW selections you want to choose Direct sound: Realtek digital audio. Also check what Brett suggests, could just be all it is.

Now the part that is stumping me a bit. You say you are getting sound from the computer / speakers? How are you doing this? Is your computer a laptop or a desktop?

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for all the suggestions (the teamwork is quite heartening, even if the result so far is not). The channels are not set for none.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 am

Desktop or laptop?

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 am

Mine is a desktop. I make sounds by playing a cd with windows media player.
I did not see any posts by a Brett.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 am

Hmmm.... So you have speakers connected to the desktop and when you play a CD as an example you get sound, but no sound from HW?

Brett,

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps he has not created an audio group?

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:01 am

I'm really starting to suspect that the soundcard is the problem. With the soundcard set as the standard device, the cd's also don't make sound, I have to switch back to the speakers themselves as the main device for the sound to work. Still, that this works for the cd's suggests it might also work for Hauptwerk, at least as a temporary solution (when everything works and I like it, I'll probably et an external sound card).

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 am

Mathijs wrote:I'm really starting to suspect that the soundcard is the problem. With the soundcard set as the standard device, the cd's also don't make sound, I have to switch back to the speakers themselves as the main device for the sound to work.

I suspect it's still just a simple selection you're missing. You most definitely have a soundcard there somewhere that is working properly or you would have no sound at all CD or otherwise. Where are you looking / going to change to the speakers and how are you doing it? If you are making some kind of change in the control panel what you're actually doing is turning the soundcard on or off, not the speakers.

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:17 am

Ok, that sounds comforting, I hope you're right. I'll try to translate from Dutch the steps I take; I hope it's clear.

In the configuration screen I go to Hardware and Sounds, then i click control Audio devices. I et a new screen labeled Sound. It has four tabs, of which the first, labeled Play (something like that),
shows two devices,
one labeled "speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)",
the other labeled "Realtek Digital output (Realtek High Definition Audio)".

The second device was hidden at first, by your very first advice (if I remember correctly) I found and enabled it. Before I installed the Realtek Audio Driver, the devices had generic names. I am not sure the driver is the correct one, I might need the Intel one.
If I make the second device the standard one, I get no sound, even from the CD. If I test this device (by right clicking it and clicking "test") I also get no sound. If I set the speakers (the first device) as the standard, I get sound from the CD (I'm listening to some Reger as I write). Also, if I test it, I get sounds.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:51 am

O.K., I follow you. Basically what you're doing whey you're in the Windows control panel under "manage audio devices" is you're turning your Realtec / speakers on or off by selecting and "enabling or disabling" it.

In "manage audio devices" you want to select and enable (use this device) only the one labeled speakers / Realtek high definition audio, disable all others. Then in HW select Direct sound: Realtec high definition audio in the pull down, you should then have sound.

If this does not work there is one more last ditch effort I can think of. I have run into an issue where Windows takes preference over the soundcard and will work for CD's and so on, but will now allow HW to use it. The fix is to go back into "manage audio devices" and disable (do not use this device) for everything in the list. You would then think nothing would work but what happens is it allows HW to solely use the soundcard and nothing else.

If what I wrote in the first paragraph does not work, try what I wrote in the second paragraph and disable everything in "manage audio devices" and see if that does the trick. You still need to have Direct sound: Realtek high definition audio select in the pulldown in HW.

Good luck,

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Unfortunately nothing seems to be working. I tried both suggestions (the first for the umpteenth time), but to no avail. When I disable everything, HW also no longer recognizes the speakers and only gives the hauptwerk vst option on the auio output field. I also tried installing another driver for the soundcard, but it said my pc was not compatible. I'm back to the realtek now, although the CD's worked without any driver and the soundcard did not work under any circumstance.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 pm

The only other idea I would have is it has something to do with your channels 1 / 2 default audio group in HW not being set up properly. Just as a test, when you first go to load an organ from "load organ adjusting ranks..." are you able see Default channels 1 / 2 in the right pane?

I might suggest you look through the HW users manual which is available here on the site and read over the section that covers setting up audio groups, I'm betting there's something there you've missed.

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I can't see any default channels when I try the load organ rank. I can see the channels in th audio output though. I will have a look at the manual section you indicated.

By the way, thank you very much for all the help.

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:03 pm

I don't quite see how the section on groups pertains. I have only one set of speakers and I am using the free version (for the moment), so I cannot use the audio group feature anyway.

I ordered an external sound card ( I was planning to do that anyway), maybe that'll fix things (says I optimistically...).

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 pm

I haven't used the free version in years, so I don't know what to advise at this point, I'm out of ideas. :cry:

Marc
PreviousNext

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)