It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am

No sound (but the keys are pressed)

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Mathijs

No sound (but the keys are pressed)

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 3:03 pm

So I recently moved to another country and, with substantial help from this forum, I for the first time set up a modest Hauptwerk organ. I have everything working quite ok, but I just today put everything together and there is a strange problem: I get no sound, even though Hauptwerk shows the keys being pressed. I separately tested my keyboards on my laptop before and they worked fine (with sound and all), but with my pc it doesn't work. The speakers do work, I can listen to music on the PC. I tried various settings in the audio output menu. The PC I'm using is second hand, but the previous user also used it for hauptwerk, so I presume the drivers are ok (although the speakers are new)? I'm not tech savvy at all, so I have no idea where to look next. Any ideas?

1961TC4ME

Re: No sound (but the keys are pressed)

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 3:43 pm

First off before we can figure out the problem and steer you in the right direction, are you using the on-board soundcard that came with the computer or an aftermarket unit you installed?

Marc

Mathijs

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 4:05 pm

So far just the on board soundcard (I was planning to upgrade later).

kwbmusic

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Check whether there is a software mute control that has activated?
Keith

Mathijs

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks. Where might I find such a thing? I checked the volume options on the computer, is there a mute option in Hauptwerk? Or somewhere hidden on the computer?

kwbmusic

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 6:21 pm

On my PC there is a speaker icon on the tray at the bottom. Right click gives a volume mixer that has a muting facility. If you are a MAC I'm sorry I have no knowledge.
Keith

Mathijs

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 6:36 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice. I did actually check that option before I came to the forum. :D

Ordinary_Man

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Apologies if this has been checked, but pull down General Settings menu, then click Audio Outputs and look at Audio Output Device. Make sure it is set for the soundcard in your computer.

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 7:58 pm

In my HW Notebook I found these actions related to your problem (I do not wrote what then happened):
-Click on General Cancel (?)
-Verify cable connections (loose connections perhaps)
-Check Midi IN Ports
-Check Organ Settings/Keyboards/Assign...
-Unplug everything and plug again 2 minutes later

My tranquility is based on the conviction that with HW software, HW team and HW community every issue is solved¡

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:16 am

First, as suggested make sure in HW that your computer's on-board audio output device is selected. If it's a late model PC the on-board soundcard is likely "Realtek." Then go to "Start" (the Windows icon in the lower left corner of your screen) / control panel / hardware and sound / manage audio devices / and here you should see a line-up of devices which includes your "Realtek" (or whatever audio device it is for your on-board sound). Hi-lite and select it, there will then be a box below in the screen to tick which will likely say it's "disabled" you want to tick "enable."

Go back to HW and give that a try again, if the previous user installed an aftermarket soundcard, they most likely "disabled" the on-board soundcard and it just needs to be enabled.

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:44 am

Thanks for the replies (and the tranquility!). I did try all the possible options under audio output. I also checked Marc suggestion for the audio card just now and I think I indeed found a disabled soundcard which I enabled again. That gave an extra option in the output menu, which I tried (as well as all the others again), but it still does not work. Still the keys work, still no sound.

pedro

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 7:24 am

Hi Mathijs
Is your amplifier turned on?
Not trying to make fun of you but its happened to me once.
I was not getting any sound and after a lot of searching i found that my amplifier was turned of :cry:
Pete

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks Pedro. I appreciate the simple suggestions, as I really hope it will be something small like this. But if you mean by amplifier the speakers (I don't know what it would mean otherwise), then they are turned on. I can make sounds on the computer (play cd's, get notifications...), but not with Hauptwerk.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:28 am

If you have selected the correct audio device in HW, should look something like Direct Sound: Realtek (or whatever device it is named) in the choices in the pull down and if you have verified it is "enabled, use this device" in the control panel under "manage audio devices", the ONLY other guesses I would have are:

1.) Are you connected to the green outlet on the back of the computer?
2.) Have you tried connecting to the headphone jack?
3.) If you are using an amp, are you connected to the correct input (like CD as an example) and have you selected that as the source on your amp? Reading your post above it sounds more like you are using powered monitors, but I mention the amp thing here just in case.
4.) Is the volume on your computer turned up (the little speaker icon in the lower right of your bottom toolbar)?

Other than that I'm out of guesses. :shock:

Marc

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks. I'm afraid I have more or less tried all of those (if I understand them correctly). Like I said, I can get sound from the computer, so the speakers work and the volume is turned up. I also tried the headphone, but to no avail. I think the problem may be with the soundcard, as when I test that seperately, it gives no sound. I tried downloading a realtek driver for it, but that had no effect, other than that the device is now called realtek rather than something generic.
In the sound output screen I have for options:
-Hauptwerk VST link
-DirectSound: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
-DirectSound: Primary Sound Control
-DirectSound: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
The last two are approximate translations from Dutch.

My fear is that either I do not have the correct driver for the soudcard (and I have not been able to find which I should use based on the souncard ID), or that the souncard is simply broken. The strange thing is that all the while my computer still does produce sound, so even if the soundcard is the problem, it should not be insurmountable.
:( I just want to play....
Next

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)