It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

Hauptwerk 4.1.1 and encrypted sets

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

student

Hauptwerk 4.1.1 and encrypted sets

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 am

Hello,

Hauptwerk 4.1 had the capability to use encrypted sample sets in Free and Evaluation modes (some trials are offered as such). I managed to load IA's PSZ organ this way (I mean the trial version).
With Hauptwerk 4.1.1 the organ will not load anymore. It loaded fine from the cache, but when trying to change the loading parameters it will give the following error message:
"Could not communicate with Hautpwerk's USB Key ..... 'Invalid login handle passed to function' (code: 9) Message code (for diagnostic purposes): 0080".

Any ideas how to continue to load this trial? I haven't checked with Frieberg yet but I indended to try it also.

This feature of loading protected sample sets not licensed via the dongle was a very nice extra to Hauptwerk 4.1 and I would hate to see it go...
(anyway, that's until I make the jump and buy a license)

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Hauptwerk 4.1.1 and encrypted sets

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Hello student,

The original trial for this (and other certain encrypted trial instruments) wouldn't have allowed you to load them in Hauptwerk v. 4.0.0. We changed how some settings for security worked for Hauptwerk 4.1.0 which did in fact allow these trial instruments to load, however due to issues with those new settings (due to Safenet/Sentinel software and driver issues) we had to remove that for Hauptwerk 4.1.1 and thus now you wouldn't be able to load trial instruments that originally required the owning of a Hauptwerk license to operate. (Technically it is now the same as it was for Hauptwerk 4.0.0 which also wouldn't have allowed you to load this trial instrument).

If sample producers create new trial instruments using Hauptwerk 4.1.1 then you would be able to try it without a Hauptwerk license if they update their previously released instruments by re-encrypting the files.

Sorry for any inconvenience that may cause you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

student

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Hello Brett,

Thank you for answering my question! It's not really an inconvenience, at most it might be a minor annoyance, since I like to try out every trial and test version available and was happy for this feature.

I understand the reasons for protecting sample sets and the removal of this feature. Then you should perhaps consider changing the error message to something better explaining the need to have a license to load a set and not an error in communicating with the dongle, since I don't even have a USB Dongle and no Sentinel LDK is installed or loaded for Hauptwerk 4.1.1 in Free Edition.

mdyde

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 am

student wrote:Then you should perhaps consider changing the error message to something better explaining the need to have a license to load a set and not an error in communicating with the dongle, since I don't even have a USB Dongle and no Sentinel LDK is installed or loaded for Hauptwerk 4.1.1 in Free Edition.

Yes -- that's a valid point. We'll clarify that error message for the forthcoming v4.1.2.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)