It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

Windows Vista - Does anyone have issues running Hauptwerk?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

johnyonenote

Windows Vista - Does anyone have issues running Hauptwerk?

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 am

I'm a relative newcomer to Hauptwerk and am presently running the Paramount 310 Wurlitzer on the latest Hauptwerk freebie basic system. I am using a Fujitsu Notebook PC, Windows Vista 32-bit, and a USB/audio interface which has ASIO drivers. This set up seems to cope pretty well, but just very occasionally the CPU usage indicator goes red and glitches the audio. I am convinced this is due to random Vista routines which suddenly start up and tax the CPU. I have managed to disable a lot of stuff on the PC which clearly isn't needed (eg various automatic update routines) but still have the occasional hiccup as described. Curiously, booting up the PC from cold, I find that starting Hauptwerk then immediately closing down then re-starting improves the reliability. Would be grateful for any other ideas about Windows Vista, which by the way I consider to be a poor OS.

John S.

mdyde

Re: Windows Vista - Does anyone have issues running Hauptwer

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 am

Hello John,

Many thanks for the interest in Hauptwerk.

[Topic moved here, since you're currently using the Free Edition.]

If feasible (if your laptop will support it), I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1 64-bit, doing a clean install of Windows (re-format) in the process, since in my experience Windows 8.1 is generally better for audio reliability than Vista. (Also we don't now officially support Vista, although I'd expect it still to work as before.) Simply doing a clean install of Windows (re-formatting) often improves Windows performance drastically.

The quality of the audio interface and its drivers is also extremely important for reliable low-latency audio.

Apart from that, I'd suggest working through the Windows performance troubleshooting suggestions in the user guide (pages 214-216 in the current v4.1.1 version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 10:01 am

I can vouch for Martin's response in that I had used Vista only briefly and had bad experience with it not only concerning Hauptwerk but other programs as well. Esp any programs that required a concentration of CPU activity. It's not worth wasting any time or resources to try making it work. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

GoodieHW

PostTue May 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Vista caused me all sorts of problems in 'normal' use and consumed hours of time in trying to troubleshoot it. I wouldn't contemplate using it to run Hauptwerk. Thankfully am rid of it now. I have had good results running HW Free on quite a modest spec laptop with Windows 7.

Regards,

David

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)