It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

Hauptwerk Software Installation Problem

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

debaat

Hauptwerk Software Installation Problem

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 6:01 pm

I have a 10 year old Wyvern MPX digital organ and would like to trial it with Hauptwerk. However when I try to install the free version of Hauptwerk on my Windows 7 laptop, it aborts almost at the end of the file extraction stage with the message:

C:\Users|Adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX0\Disk1...

Another program is currently using this file.

Please help, otherwise I may have to abandon the trial of the software.

evertjan

Re: Hauptwerk Software Installation Problem

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 am

A virus scanner active on your PC?
If so, please disable it during the installation of the sampleset.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 am

debaat wrote:I have a 10 year old Wyvern MPX digital organ and would like to trial it with Hauptwerk. However when I try to install the free version of Hauptwerk on my Windows 7 laptop, it aborts almost at the end of the file extraction stage with the message:

C:\Users|Adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX0\Disk1...

Another program is currently using this file.

Please help, otherwise I may have to abandon the trial of the software.

Hello Adrian,

Since you've also now raised this on the forum, I'm copying our previous email correspondence here, so as to keep the topic in one place. (That helps to ensure that we don't need to reply in duplicate in several places, and so that other people are aware of what's already been suggested.)

mdyde wrote:Hello Adrian,

Thanks very much for the interest.

I've activated your forum account now, so you should be able to log in.

With regard to the error message you're getting, I wonder whether perhaps your virus scanner software is trying to scan the Hauptwerk installer file at the same time that the installer is trying to run.

What virus scanner software (if any) are you using? If you temporarily disable it, does that allow Hauptwerk's installer to run successfully?

Please also check that you have all current Windows updates applied. (Use Windows Update to check for updates, apply all available, reboot, then keep repeating until there are no more. Note that you might need to
click the 'check for updates' button *twice* before Windows actually performs the check.)

Thanks again and best regards,
Martin Dyde.

debaat wrote:Hello Martin,

I have tried switching off temporarily my virus checker (AVAST) and also Windows Firewall, but I still get exactly the same problem. I have even tried installing it on my desktop (impractical from an operational view of course) and this gets the same problem - also with AVAST virus checker.

Windows 7 on both machines is completely up-to-date.

Any other ideas, please?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 am

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the update.

Does the MD5 checksum for the Hauptwerk installer file you download *exactly* match the value shown for it on our downloads page?: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/

You can use a free utility such as WinMD5Free to check: http://www.winmd5.com/

If the value is different (even if only slightly) then the file is corrupted and will need to be downloaded again.

If the value is exactly the same:

Apart from Avast!, are any other applications running on your computer that might be trying to scan files?

My suspicion would be that somehow the Avast! scanner is still causing the problem, even if it appears to have been disabled. We've had lots of other problems reported to us over the years with the Avast! virus scanner misdiagnosing viruses in Hauptwerk installer files (which we've reported previously to Avast!'s makers).
Best regards, Martin.

debaat

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 7:43 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your swift reply.

The MD5 checksum matches exactly.

As far as I am aware there is nothing else scanning files on either my laptop or my desktop.

Although I have been quite happy with Avast, I will try replacing it on my laptop with, say AVG (any problems?). This might take a little while as I am going away shortly. So bear with me as I am quite keen to see if I can get Hauptwerk to work with my Wyvern.

debaat

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Martin,

I uninstalled Avast and tried again but the problem remains.

However I have just had a thought. I have Trusteer Rapport installed on both computers. Could this software be causing the problem perhaps?

Regards,

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks, Adrian.

I don't think we've had any experience, or feedback from users, with IBM Security Trusteer Rapport, I'm afraid ( http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/trusteer-rapport ). Whether it does file-scanning, I'm not sure, although a brief read of IBM's website suggests to me that it might.

It would certainly be worth disabling it (or uninstalling it, if disabling it isn't possible) to check.

Some software that's installed on both your PCs (apart from Hauptwerk's installer) must be trying to access the file.

Although I have been quite happy with Avast, I will try replacing it on my laptop with, say AVG (any problems?).

I know quite a few Hauptwerk users do use AVG, and I don't think we've heard of any problems with it. We test with, and use, McAfee and Norton here.
Best regards, Martin.

debaat

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 am

Hi Martin,

I have fixed it!

The problem was Rapport. I monitored the use of the RarSFX0 file during Hauptwerk installation using Windows Resource Monitor, and Rapport accessed the file. I ended the Rapport process and the installation then carried through to completion successfully.

Thanks for your help one and all. Might be worth making a note of for future reference. Now on to the next stage!

mdyde

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks, Adrian.

Excellent -- glad to hear you solved it. That's useful to know.

Hope you enjoy it now that you have it working.
Best regards, Martin.

GoodieHW

PostTue May 05, 2015 1:30 pm

I've just seen this topic and had exactly the same problem. It also turned out to be down to Rapport.

Glad you're sorted now !

David

emseedee

PostMon May 11, 2015 7:16 am

I found that I needed to uninstall Rapport; merely stopping it didn't work. All working now, though.

Mike

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)