It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am

Auto-Detect Does Not Work

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

cbcpstr

Auto-Detect Does Not Work

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 am

I'm using a Rodgers 525. When I load the St. Anne's organ, I get sound, and when I use the mouse to press keys on the computer, I get sound through the organ speakers. But I have tried everything I can think of and the auto-detect for the Rodgers keyboards and pedals will not work. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Martin_Dümig

Re: Auto-Detect Does Not Work

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 am

Have you checked whether the midi Messages are sent by the Rodgers? If you are using a PC, there is a tool named MidiOX for checking midi Messages.

It would be good if you could give more Details of your Hardware Setup: which Computer, which midi Interface and so on...

Best regards - Martin
You can play Bach on every organ.

cbcpstr

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I will try the MidiOX utility. I am running Hauptwerk from a Gateway Windows 7 (64) laptop. The midi interface is a M-Audio Midisport UNO USB. The USB light pulses indicating it is working. The IN light flickers indicating activity.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Also check that you have your MIDISPORT Uno ticked (=enabled) in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

cbcpstr

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Thank you. Should the Midisport UNO be specifically listed there? Only "Console In" is listed.

engrssc

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:07 pm

If Midisport Uno isn't listed, H/W won't be able to receive MIDI messages. Assume you have the Uno USB plugged into a USB port of your computer? Have you moved that Uno USB lead since you loaded H//W.? H/W "looks" for USB devices in certain places (ports). Moving those devices around from port to port "disturbs" that. (You can reload H/W to see if the Uno "shows up"). Also assume you have the MIDI out connection from the Rodgers going to the MIDI IN connector of the Uno.

BTW, while this may not apply here, Uno's have been known in the past to exhibit problems with H/W due to their having insufficient buffering.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Just to clarify Ed's reply: Hauptwerk doesn't (and can't) have any direct knowledge of which USB port any given device is plugged into; it can only know the name of the device, as presented by its driver. However, some (but not all) USB-MIDI device drivers report different names for devices depending on the USB port they're plugged into.

Also Hauptwerk doesn't support 'hot-plugging' MIDI devices, so you mustn't plug in or unplug any device whilst Hauptwerk is actually running (make sure you exit and relaunch it if you need to do that, since it queries the list of MIDI device names from Windows when Hauptwerk launches and expects them to remain the same until it exits).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 pm

cbcpstr wrote:Should the Midisport UNO be specifically listed there? Only "Console In" is listed.

Yes -- it should appear in the left-hand list of devices. If not, either it wasn't connected to the computer, or its drivers wasn't loaded/working properly when you launched Hauptwerk.

Try re-starting Hauptwerk, and/or rebooting, and/or re-install the driver for the device. (Check that you have the latest version of the driver downloaded and installed from M-Audio's website.)
Best regards, Martin.

cbcpstr

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:43 pm

I'm very grateful for everyone's suggestions. I've tried everything that has been suggested, and have about concluded that the latest driver cannot be installed for some reason. It seems to install, but does not show up in Device Manager. I will probably have to get a different midi cable.

Mixtuur4st

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 3:29 am

cbcpstr wrote:. . . . I have about concluded that the latest driver cannot be installed for some reason.

The M-Audio drivers have to be loaded in a special way: with the hardware not installed (i.e. the midicable unplugged) you run the diverprogram. When that's finished you connect the hardware. At that moment the Midi-Uno is recognized by the OS and properly installed.

Have fun,
Jack

cbcpstr

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 am

I uninstalled the M-Audio and did away with the cable. Got a different USB midi cable and it does at least show up in Hauptwerk. However, no settings work to actually get the Rodgers 525 to play through Hauptwerk. Auto-detect still does not work, and I've tried every combination of manual midi port settings and still no sucess. Should I conclude that the Rodgers 525 midi connections simply are not working? I do appreciate everyone's attempts to help!

cbcpstr

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 9:10 am

Once again, very grateful for everyone's ideas. Finally discovered the problem was that apparently there had been previous midi settings. Using the SET and 0 (general cancel) on the Rodgers 525 reset the factory defaults. Was then able to turn on the Midi to Great, Midi to Swell, and Midi to Pedal buttons and everything finally worked! Amazing!

mdyde

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 9:20 am

Excellent -- glad to hear you have it working now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)