It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am

Custom MIDI configuration messages

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

winelight

Custom MIDI configuration messages

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 am

I have tried setting up the Custom MIDI configuration messages.

I have opted for a single byte, value 0x01. The documentation is most emphatic that this is exactly the MIDI message that will be sent, and only this.

Instead, what I appear to get sent over MIDI is the following SysEx message:

F0
7D
F7

I don't really mind what I get, to be honest. I simply check for the above message in my firmware, instead of a single byte 0x00. But am I missing something here? Why do I get that byte sequence?

mdyde

Re: Custom MIDI configuration messages

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 3:52 am

Hello winelight,

winelight wrote:I have opted for a single byte, value 0x01. The documentation is most emphatic that this is exactly the MIDI message that will be sent, and only this.

I think the problem is that 0x01 isn't, in itself a valid MIDI message. Hauptwerk will indeed send exactly the MIDI message you specify, but if it doesn't form a valid MIDI message then the MIDI driver/interface/hardware it's sent to will probably ignore it (on the assumption that it's corrupted data), or conceivably even misbehave in other ways.

Any message you specify does need to be valid within the MIDI standard. E.g. you could send a short custom MIDI sys-ex message of your own. Sys-ex is the part of the MIDI standard that's designed to allow you to do custom things. Or perhaps you could send a MIDI control change (or NRPN) for an unused MIDI controller number.

winelight wrote:Instead, what I appear to get sent over MIDI is the following SysEx message:

F0
7D
F7

That's Hauptwerk's standard 'MIDI feedback test' sys-ex message, which it always sends to all enabled MIDI OUT ports, to check them for feedback loops. Just ignore that message.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

winelight

Re: Custom MIDI configuration messages

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 3:55 am

if it doesn't form a valid MIDI message then the MIDI driver/interface/hardware it's sent to will probably ignore it (on the assumption that it's corrupted data), or conceivably even misbehave in other ways

Ah, got it, thanks.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)