It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

St Anne's Stop cancel - noob question 1

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

TimR

St Anne's Stop cancel - noob question 1

PostMon May 04, 2015 10:49 am

I'm evaluating the free version at the request of my church, if successful we'll buy.

I know I have a lot more RTM work to do, but a quick question:

I loaded St Annes. HW autodetected my keyboard (through a cheap Uno USB-MIDI connector). I clicked on the preset stop buttons one at a time with the mouse, each time the registration changed just like it should. I was starting to feel a little smug.

Then I hit the cancel button. Nothing changed. It keeps playing, making sound even with no stops selected. I've tried the presets again, no change, tried clicking each stop individually, nothing. I remember running into the same problem about 10 years ago when I first tried HW1, and gave up, but now I have a faster PC with more memory.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm also getting distorted sound, but I have a lot more troubleshooting to do on that between amp and speakers before I ask.

johnh

Re: St Anne's Stop cancel - noob question 1

PostMon May 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Did you play with the crescendo pedal?

mnailor

PostMon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Any chance your keyboard makes sound on its own?

TimR

PostMon May 04, 2015 12:43 pm

johnh wrote:Did you play with the crescendo pedal?

Yeah, I sure did.

TimR

PostMon May 04, 2015 12:45 pm

mnailor wrote:Any chance your keyboard makes sound on its own?

I've use this cheap Casio keyboard to output MIDI for other applications. I just turn the master volume on the keyboard down all the way. All the sound is coming from the speakers attached to the laptop.

I buy any MIDI output keyboard I see cheap enough at a yard sale, I now have enough working ones to do a decent 3 manual organ plus another couple that didn't work.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon May 04, 2015 2:08 pm

St Anne's also has some fixed general combinations (FF and PP) controlled by pistons under the Great. They are to the left of the cancel piston, just past the crescendo pedal pistons. A red light comes on to indicate if each piston is active. The pistons are reversible and are not cancelled by the general cancel piston. Maybe you have one or other of these pistons still on, and if so that would explain the continuing sound.
Andrew

mdyde

PostTue May 05, 2015 3:41 am

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for the interest in Hauptwerk.

Yes -- I too would advise checking that the crescendo pedal is in the fully-off position, and that neither of the FF or PP combinations are on. (They're all off by default.) Those are the only means by which sounds could play within Hauptwerk (St. Anne's) without any stops appearing to be on.

If that doesn't solve, are the sounds you hear actually organ sounds? Perhaps you have some other software running (e.g. a sound card's built-in synthesizer) that's producing sounds.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TimR

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:05 am

Andrew Grahame wrote:St Anne's also has some fixed general combinations (FF and PP) controlled by pistons under the Great. They are to the left of the cancel piston, just past the crescendo pedal pistons. A red light comes on to indicate if each piston is active. The pistons are reversible and are not cancelled by the general cancel piston. Maybe you have one or other of these pistons still on, and if so that would explain the continuing sound.
Andrew

Now I feel dumb, that's exactly what happened.

In my defense the labels were a bit hard to read on my screen.

Andrew Grahame

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:17 am

No need to feel dumb! We've all "been there and done that" when coming to grips with new software, especially when it's as detailed and comprehensive as Hauptwerk. You're among friends here on the forum, where learning is encouraged and supported.

Welcome aboard!

Andrew

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)