It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am

Interfacing Free Edition to current Viscount

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

GoodieHW

Interfacing Free Edition to current Viscount

PostTue May 05, 2015 12:44 pm

I wish to try interfacing my Hauptwerk free edition to a current range Viscount (Envoy 23) using the St Anne's organ. The Viscount has a smaller specification, no divisional pistons and just 5 generals and I am wondering what approach to take. At the moment I cannot afford to invest in a touch screen or touch pad

Clearly I could settle for controlling just some of the St Annes stops one-for-one from the Viscount but the result would be quite incomplete. I was thinking, as a means of getting access to the whole of the St Annes specification, about activating the St Annes Great and Swell divisionals from the stop controls on the Viscount and then using any spare ones to control the extra couplers and perhaps one or two individual stops. The pedal depts. map pretty well to each other so do not present a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

David

organassist

Re: Interfacing Free Edition to current Viscount

PostSat May 09, 2015 3:09 am

One option, not pretty, is to use the notes themselves to trigger stop changes. I sometimes configure unused notes for this purpose. For example some sample sets only have 30 note pedal boards and so I use the top F# on my pedal board as a "stepper" to move to the next registration.

Theoretically, depending on the pitch range of the repertoire you play, you could use the top notes of each manual to toggle the stops. You would need to go to Organ Settings, Keyboards and reduce the Midi Keyboard Hi Key for each manual to stop these notes sounding before configuring them to change the stops.

As I say - not pretty, but it may be better than nothing as a temporary solution.

Best wishes
David

mdyde

Re: Interfacing Free Edition to current Viscount

PostSat May 09, 2015 4:02 am

Hello David (GoodieHW),

The Novation Launchpad can be an easy and effective cost-effective means to provide plenty of illuminated buttons to control stops and pistons, and Hauptwerk has native support for them (including full control of their button lamps): http://uk.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers-digital-dj/launchpad# .

You might be able to pick up a second-hand one inexpensively.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)