It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Pitch is out, I can't hold altitude, noob ? 3

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

TimR

Pitch is out, I can't hold altitude, noob ? 3

PostSat May 09, 2015 8:24 am

Sorry, I had a flashback to the old 6 Million Dollar Man tv show. "Get your pitch to zero. Pitch is out, I can't hold altitude."

Anyway, I took laptop, keyboard, and small stereo to choir rehearsal this week to let the choir director hear it. If he liked it we'd be purchasing the real version as soon as I get it in the budget. Of course we wouldn't perform with the free version

The choir anthem demands harpischord, so I loaded the Mietke. The choir director loved the sound, didn't mind the latency (which surprised me, it's enough to bother me, but then he's a better player), hated the cheap keyboard I brought (hey, to me MIDI is MIDI), but complained about the pitch.

Sure enough, the Mietke is a full half step flat. When I got home I dug out my tuner and it really is. The correct notes are transmitting. If I play a C on the keyboard I can see a C move on the screen, but a B comes out.

I tried St Anne's, it is 15 cents flat.

So my question is, did I mess up? Operator error? Or is it inherent in the sample set, and I just have to dig through the manual and figure out how to adjust pitch?

Grant_Youngman

Re: Pitch is out, I can't hold altitude, noob ? 3

PostSat May 09, 2015 9:28 am

The Meitke is set to A=415, which is the historical tuning. It's straightforward to repitch to A440.

On the menu bar, go to: "Pitch" —> "Organ base pitch" —> "Set to A=440". You can tweak from that point if need be.
Grant

James

PostSat May 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi
I am not quite sure what you mean by latency in the Mietke harpsichord set. I have the set, and experience no latency with it. I would suggest that your midi interface might be less than optimum for Hauptwerk. There are other things that can be adding to that problem. A search on the forum for discussions about it should be helpful.
James

TimR

PostSat May 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the Mietke was at fault. I just haven't figured the optimum way to set up HW with my system yet.

mdyde

PostSun May 10, 2015 4:55 am

Hello Tim,

The 'Pitch' large control panel ('View | Large control panels') lets you choose/adjust the pitch of the sample set you have loaded and/or fine-tune it.

With regard to latency, that's mainly determined by the driver for audio interface you're using, as well as the buffer size you have selected in Hauptwerk. If you're using a PC (as opposed to a Mac) then you usually need to use ASIO drivers (not DirectSound), preferably with a good-quality semi/pro audio interface, for reliable, glitch-free audio at low latencies.

Have a look at the sections on audio interfaces in these documents for that:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf

The 'Performance tuning' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide also covers audio interfaces and latency.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)