It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

Two MIDI questions, noob #4

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

TimR

Two MIDI questions, noob #4

PostTue May 12, 2015 7:15 am

I'm getting better at finding stuff in the manual but haven't answered these yet.

And I really do appreciate all the help I've been given!

1. On start up, sometimes my computer sees the MIDI and sometimes not. The very first time I ran HW it worked, and I autodetected, surprised at how easy it was. The next time, no, I had to plug and unplug the USB port several times before MIDI signals got in. So I never know when I start the computer if the MIDI cable will be connected or not. I'm using an M-Audio Uno, and when I hit keys I see the light flash on the Uno, but nothing appears on the organ until I experiment with it a few times. Nothing is worse than an intermittent fault - I can't seem to tie this to any particular order of starting.

2. Experience (the hard way) tells me sometimes a MIDI OFF command gets lost in transmission and I'd better always know where the MIDI Panic key that cancels it is. I searched the manual today and didn't see it?

mdyde

Re: Two MIDI questions, noob #4

PostTue May 12, 2015 8:50 am

Hello Tim,

TimR wrote:1. On start up, sometimes my computer sees the MIDI and sometimes not. The very first time I ran HW it worked, and I autodetected, surprised at how easy it was. The next time, no, I had to plug and unplug the USB port several times before MIDI signals got in. So I never know when I start the computer if the MIDI cable will be connected or not. I'm using an M-Audio Uno, and when I hit keys I see the light flash on the Uno, but nothing appears on the organ until I experiment with it a few times. Nothing is worse than an intermittent fault - I can't seem to tie this to any particular order of starting.

Hauptwerk queries the list of MIDI ports from Windows when Hauptwerk launches, and expects them to remain the same whilst it's running.

Do you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when Windows boots? If so, it might be that Windows is launching Hauptwerk before Windows has finished loading the drivers for the MIDI interface. (There's an advanced general preference in Hauptwerk to make Hauptwerk wait for a while before querying devices for that purpose.)

If you haven't done so already, it's usually best to install the manufacturer-supplied driver for a MIDI interface, rather than relying on the default Windows one: http://www.m-audio.com/support/drivers-search . (I see that M-Audio don't yet list a driver for it for 64-bit Windows 8.1, but I expect the 64-bit Windows 8 driver would be compatible.)

Do you have the MIDI interface connected to a USB port on the PC itself, or via a hub? Does the hub have a dedicated power supply, if the latter?

When the MIDI interface isn't found, does Windows device manager see it? If so, it might be that the Windows is sometimes changing its name, which will make it appear to be a new/different interface to Hauptwerk. (When you launch it, Hauptwerk will prompt that the old device is missing, and that a new one has been found, in that case.)

These documents have some general advice on USB-MIDI interfaces:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf

TimR wrote:2. Experience (the hard way) tells me sometimes a MIDI OFF command gets lost in transmission and I'd better always know where the MIDI Panic key that cancels it is. I searched the manual today and didn't see it?

There's a 'Reset: keys' button on the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large control panels'). The function (as with any other) can be assigned to pistons/buttons if you wish. It's also available on the Engine menu.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TimR

PostTue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Ah. I wonder if in my impatience I started HW before Windows 7 had completely loaded and found all the devices. I will test that tonight, that might just be the problem, and check for updated drivers.

TimR

PostWed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm

I switched from my Uno Mini USB to an M-Audio Fast Track.

I had trouble at first, the laptop could see MIDI in but not sound out, but loading the updated drivers seems to have fixed that.

I'm cautiously reporting success.

I guess I need a MIDI hub of some kind to run more than one keyboard, that might be the next step.

mdyde

PostThu May 14, 2015 3:47 am

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it seems to be working now.

TimR wrote:I guess I need a MIDI hub of some kind to run more than one keyboard, that might be the next step.

If the keyboards have direct USB connections, and if you don't have enough USB ports on your PC, then yes -- you would need a USB hub. I'd strongly recommend going for a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') one in that case.

If the keyboards have MIDI OUTs, instead of direct USB connections, then a good-quality multi-port MIDI interface is best. The MOTU Microlite ( http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite ) and M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/browse/category/midi-interfaces ) are popular amongst Hauptwerk users.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)