It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Crescendo pedal and general volume

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

TimR

Crescendo pedal and general volume

PostSun May 17, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm making progress, I have been able to set unused keyboard keys to activate pistons.

Two things puzzle me, possibly related. I can get plenty of volume out of the harpsichord, but not out of St Annes. I changed amplifiers to a better one but with no effect. I'm using an M-audio Fast Track for MIDI in and sound out.

Also, neither swell nor general crescendo pedals do anything when I click on them with the mouse. There is no change in appearance of the pedal or sound. That's curious, when I had an earlier version of Hauptwerk years ago (gave up on it because of my slow computer) those pedals seemed to work fine.

I'm wondering if these two things are related, or if crescendo is disabled in the free version.

mdyde

Re: Crescendo pedal and general volume

PostMon May 18, 2015 4:59 am

Hello Tim,

TimR wrote: I can get plenty of volume out of the harpsichord, but not out of St Annes. I changed amplifiers to a better one but with no effect. I'm using an M-audio Fast Track for MIDI in and sound out.

You can use the 'Audio: Trim dB' setting on the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large control panels') to balance the overall amplitude of sample sets. (But always be careful not to let the audio meter go into the red with large registrations, otherwise you will get nasty 'clipping' distortion.)

TimR wrote:Also, neither swell nor general crescendo pedals do anything when I click on them with the mouse. There is no change in appearance of the pedal or sound. That's curious, when I had an earlier version of Hauptwerk years ago (gave up on it because of my slow computer) those pedals seemed to work fine.

The positions of expression/crescendo pedals and sliders/knobs are set according to whereabouts you click on them. For example, clicking at the top of an expression pedal's image area sets it to fully open, and at the bottom to fully closed. Alternatively, you can click and drag them, or use the mouse's scroll wheel over them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TimR

PostMon May 18, 2015 10:12 am

The positions of expression/crescendo pedals and sliders/knobs are set according to whereabouts you click on them. For example, clicking at the top of an expression pedal's image area sets it to fully open, and at the bottom to fully closed.

Thanks for such a quick response.

I have clicked everywhere from top to bottom of those two pedals and nothing changed, either in appearance or sound.

When I play a MIDI recording I see those bounce up and down so I know what it should look like.

mdyde

PostMon May 18, 2015 10:15 am

Hello Tim,

Are you referring to St. Anne's, or a different sample set?

Have you also tried dragging their positions, or moving the mouse?

Do you have them mapped (auto-detected) to MIDI controllers? If so, perhaps the MIDI controllers are constantly sending MIDI messages to them, keeping them in the same positions.
Best regards, Martin.

TimR

PostMon May 18, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks, more stuff to try when I get home tonight.

TimR

PostMon May 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Hmm.

Well, clicking with the mouse anywhere does nothing.

But I can hold the mouse button down and drag the pedal, and it works. I don't have a slider on the keyboard but I have a couple of unused keys, maybe I can get them to click a step at a time. I know, RTM.

I also found a mini audio panel, and by playing with trim dB and volume I got the organ a good bit louder.

mdyde

PostTue May 19, 2015 4:05 am

Hello Tim,

TimR wrote:But I can hold the mouse button down and drag the pedal, and it works.

Glad to hear you have it working now.

TimR wrote: I don't have a slider on the keyboard but I have a couple of unused keys, maybe I can get them to click a step at a time.

No -- it isn't currently possible possible to use keys to increment/decrement the positions of expression/crescendo pedals or slider/knobs. The 'MIDI implementation: Continuous controls (expression/crescendo pedals, sliders/knobs)' section in the user guide (page 220 in the current v4.1.1 version) covers the types of MIDI messages that can be used to control them.

TimR wrote:I also found a mini audio panel, and by playing with trim dB and volume I got the organ a good bit louder.

You can either use the 'Audio: Trim dB' setting either on the large control panel I mentioned previously ('Audio, MIDI and Performance') or on the 'Audio output level' mini control panel.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)