It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

no midi response in windows 10

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

joen2010

no midi response in windows 10

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 4:22 am

I have been using Hauptwerk with Windows 7 just fine but I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now Hauptwerk does not recognize any midi signals from my midi keyboard. It is like the midi channel isn't open or something. I can see the midi light signals going to my computer but Hauptwerk doesn't seem to know it is there.
I checked everything I could check and it all seems to be OK.
What am I missing?
Please help!

mdyde

Re: no midi response in windows 10

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:02 am

Hello joen2010,

Please try the following:

- Make sure that you have all current Windows updates installed. (Use Windows Update to check for updates, apply all available, reboot, then keep repeating until there are no more. Note that you might need to click the 'check for updates' button *twice* before Windows actually performs the check.)

- If it has a dedicated driver (as opposed to relying on the default Windows USB-MIDI driver), then also make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware installed for your MIDI interface/keyboard, and that the driver is listed by its manufacturer as compatible with Windows 10. (Check on its manufacturer's website.)

- Reboot.

- Wait for an extra 30 seconds or so before launching Hauptwerk, just to make sure that Windows has finished loading the driver for the MIDI interface, before you launch Hauptwerk. (Hauptwerk queries the MIDI interfaces each time it launches; it doesn't support 'hot-plugging' of devices.)

- Launch Hauptwerk.

- Make sure that the MIDI device is present and ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab.

- Load St. Anne's.

- Try using right-click auto-detection again for the virtual keyboards if necessary.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kwbmusic

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am

What sort of midi keyboard do you have?
For instance I have an Edirol PCR800 which does not work through USB under Windows 10 as no driver is available. In my case I solved the problem by changing the connection to direct midi cables rather than midi through usb.
Keith

joen2010

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 6:57 am

To: mdyde:
Thank you for your response. I have tried that several times. The devices are apparently detected because they are on the list of keyboards. (I have 3. 2 are midi plugs to usb connection and one is straight usb). But that is as far as it goes. When I try the auto detect for a keyboard, there is no reaction. It is as if the midi in channel is not activated.

To kwbmusic:
Again, thank you for your response. I am using 3 Casio CTK keyboards. 451, 531, 2100. The 2100 uses the straight usb connection. The others use a midi plug to usb adapter.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks for the update.

As you press keys on your keyboards, with an organ loaded in Hauptwerk, do any of the MIDI activity virtual LEDs flash on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel?

Which specific LEDs (channel numbers and colours), if so?

Also, can you just confirm that you're using the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1)? (You can check using 'Help | About ..' in Hauptwerk.)
Best regards, Martin.

joen2010

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm

To Both of you who responded:
UPDATE: I had already tried everything that you had suggested several times (including unplugging and plugging everything again.) I took everything apart one more time and plugged in everything again from scratch. And now it works! I am not sure what was wrong but it works now.
I very much appreciate your consideration in responding to this post.
My lesson to me: If it doesn't work the first time, take it apart and put it together again.
Thanks again,
Joen2010

mdyde

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 4:49 am

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear it's working now, whatever it was that solved it!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)