It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

[SOLVED] MIDI trigger vs Sonar DAW

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

rogeriodec

[SOLVED] MIDI trigger vs Sonar DAW

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

This is my first post, and since when I started testing Hauptwerk, I have already discovered a number of things, but one problem still persists:
I'm integrating with Sonar Platinum.
1) I already know there is a way to start Hauptwerk automatically when I load a project in Sonar, that is, I have to start it manually. Is that correct?
2) Once I start Hawptwek and I load the organ, the "Registration" is still not loaded. This way I have to activate it manually. I have already created a "Master gen 1" for the preset of my project. The problem is that I can not automate the activation of this Master Gen 1. I have already tried with Program Changes, but this does not activate Master Gen 1. I have tried other functions but I can not get a result.

What is the solution to have Master Gen 1 always active when I start Haptwerk?

Last edited by rogeriodec on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: MIDI trigger vs Sonar DAW

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello Rogerio,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk.

Hauptwerk runs as a stand-alone application, optionally using its 'Hauptwerk AU/VST Link' plug-in to route MIDI from, and audio to, an AU/VST host application, which is covered in general in the 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying real-time reverb' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk -- pages 181-199 in the current v4.2.1 version).

The 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 189-194) has step-by-step instructions for how to use Hauptwerk in conventional MIDI sequencer environments in the way that we'd recommend for most composers and sequencer/DAW users. In particular, please make sure that you have the 'Hauptwerk AU/VST Link' entry selected specifically in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, with no other entries ticked at all on that screen tab (in either column), and also with no entries ticked at all on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab. You can then right-click on virtual controls to configure their MIDI settings as you wish (either manually or using auto-detection).

rogeriodec wrote:1) I already know there is a way to start Hauptwerk automatically when I load a project in Sonar, that is, I have to start it manually. Is that correct?

That's correct -- you need to launch Hauptwerk (if it isn't already running) manually. You could, however, set the computer to launch Hauptwerk automatically when it boots, so that it's always running in readiness.

You normally also need to load the desired organ manually, although you could potentially assign the organ as a 'favourite' and configure the 32 'favourite organs' to be triggered from MIDI program change messages. Your Sonar track could then have its program change set to the appropriate number, thus causing Hauptwerk to load the organ (assuming that Sonar doesn't re-send the program change message each time subsequently that you press play, which would cause the organ to re-load unnecessarily).

rogeriodec wrote:2) Once I start Hawptwek and I load the organ, the "Registration" is still not loaded. This way I have to activate it manually. I have already created a "Master gen 1" for the preset of my project. The problem is that I can not automate the activation of this Master Gen 1. I have already tried with Program Changes, but this does not activate Master Gen 1. I have tried other functions but I can not get a result.

Make sure that your MIDI ports are configured exactly as covered above, with the Hauptwerk VST Link entry ticked in the left-hand column. Hauptwerk's MIDI settings only apply to ports ticked in the left-hand column.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rogeriodec

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Well, I read a lot and tested a lot.
Everything works fine. I can play, listen, record, everything with Sonar.
Except activate "Master gen 1" through a midi trigger.
Could you check with me?

I stored all the stops I want in Master Gen 1, like this:

When I open Hauptwerk with my current organ (St. Anne's, Moseley-48 Khz), Master Gen 1 always appears off:

To automate the activation of Master Gen 1, I read in this forum that I could use a Program Change like this:

So, in Sonar I include a Program Change event like this:

However, when playing the track on Sonar, even if Master Gen 1 is turned on, when Sonar plays this Program Change, it turns off Master Gen 1.

Are my settings correct? Something missing?

mdyde

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 am

Hello Rogerio,

Please use 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk and send the resulting file to us, either by email to our standard info[@]... address, or via: http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ (in the latter case, please send that backup file, instead of a diagnostic file, since backup files also contain your combinations). I can then have a look at your settings and combinations.

I don't have Sonar myself, but I do have current versions of Cubase and Logic, and it shouldn't make any difference what sequencer/DAW is used anyway (a MIDI program change is a MIDI program change).

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

rogeriodec

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

To facilitate our conversation, I put the backup you requested in this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81wA4UHCedmejRrbXNoU2RNRUk/view?usp=sharing

To try to eliminate any other possible problem, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Hauptwerk, redid the entire configuration for communication with my DAW. And it is again fully operational.
Except that the problems I mentioned still exists.

One thing I can state for sure: Hauptwerk does not turn on "Master Gen 1" automatically after it is loaded, ie even if I close Hauptwerk with "Master Gen "1 turned on, it does not return in the same state when I load Hauptwerk again. This is independent of my DAW.

Another thing I discovered: it is useless to assign any midi event to the Master Gen 01. In fact, so far, the only function that worked there was a Computer Key.

One thing I discovered and that worked: Midi Program Changes do not change the Master Gen, but activate the "divisional combination pistons".
In this way, I need to send a Program Change for each channel (1, 2 and 3) to activate the desired divisional combination pistons. That is, a Program Change for each track. And another thing, the program change with values from 0 to 4 will activate the pistons from 1 to 5, respectively.

Well, maybe the solution is this and I did not get it right. I thought it would be easier just to activate Master Gen 1 through a Program Change or other function ...

mdyde

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks, Rogerio.

I can see the problem: you currently have the Hauptwerk VST Link ticked in the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') column, instead of the left-hand column. That right-hand column has a special, pre-defined, fixed MIDI implementation, as covered in the sections I mentioned in the user guide. You need to set it up specifically as I described in my original reply if you want to use any different MIDI implementation:

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk runs as a stand-alone application, optionally using its 'Hauptwerk AU/VST Link' plug-in to route MIDI from, and audio to, an AU/VST host application, which is covered in general in the 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying real-time reverb' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk -- pages 181-199 in the current v4.2.1 version).

The 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 189-194) has step-by-step instructions for how to use Hauptwerk in conventional MIDI sequencer environments in the way that we'd recommend for most composers and sequencer/DAW users. In particular, please make sure that you have the 'Hauptwerk AU/VST Link' entry selected specifically in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, with no other entries ticked at all on that screen tab (in either column), and also with no entries ticked at all on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab. You can then right-click on virtual controls to configure their MIDI settings as you wish (either manually or using auto-detection).

None of the per-control MIDI settings will have any effect on MIDI ports ticked in the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI') column, which is the expected and intended behaviour (as covered in the guide). However, if you do instead want to use the 'Sequencer MIDI IN' column then that's fine in principle, but the fixed MIDI implementation will apply that's described by the 'Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function, so you must use specifically that MIDI implementation within your Sonar project (e.g. sending MIDI program change 1 on MIDI channel 8 if you want to trigger Master General 1).

rogeriodec wrote:One thing I can state for sure: Hauptwerk does not turn on "Master Gen 1" automatically after it is loaded, ie even if I close Hauptwerk with "Master Gen "1 turned on, it does not return in the same state when I load Hauptwerk again. This is independent of my DAW.

That's normal and intended. No combinations are triggered by default after loading Hauptwerk or an organ. The 'Registration menu: ...' sections cover how Hauptwerk's combination system is meant to be used in general (loading/saving combination sets, etc.).

rogeriodec wrote:Another thing I discovered: it is useless to assign any midi event to the Master Gen 01. In fact, so far, the only function that worked there was a Computer Key.

One thing I discovered and that worked: Midi Program Changes do not change the Master Gen, but activate the "divisional combination pistons"

Both of those things are due to you currently having the MIDI port ticked in the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') column, rather than the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column. You can definitely use any MIDI program change you like to trigger any Master General (or any other piston) if you use the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column.
Best regards, Martin.

rogeriodec

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:44 am

mdyde wrote:I can see the problem: you currently have the Hauptwerk VST Link ticked in the right-hand ('Sequencer MIDI IN') column, instead of the left-hand column. That right-hand column has a special, pre-defined, fixed MIDI implementation, as covered in the sections I mentioned in the user guide. You need to set it up specifically as I described in my original reply if you want to use any different MIDI implementation:

The setting is as below, according to your request:

But in doing this, no notes are sounding. No notes are being sent from Sonar to Hauptwerk (no keys are moving).
The notes only sound if the right hand (sequencer midi in) option is checked in the "Hauptwerk VST Link" line ...
What am I doing wrong?

mdyde

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello Rogerio,

Thanks for the update. You had it ticked in the right-hand column in the backup file that you sent me, but if you now have it ticked in the left-hand column then that's fine. Hence you just need to follow the rest of the instructions in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' section of the user guide to use right-click auto-detection on the virtual keyboards and other controls (as desired) to configure MIDI input to them (or configure them manually, if you prefer). No MIDI settings are configured for them by default when used via the left-hand 'Console MIDI IN' column -- you have to auto-detect them, or configure them manually, if you want them to respond to MIDI, in that case.
Best regards, Martin.

rogeriodec

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Rogerio,

Thanks for the update. You had it ticked in the right-hand column in the backup file that you sent me, but if you now have it ticked in the left-hand column then that's fine. Hence you just need to follow the rest of the instructions in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' section of the user guide to use right-click auto-detection on the virtual keyboards and other controls (as desired) to configure MIDI input to them (or configure them manually, if you prefer). No MIDI settings are configured for them by default when used via the left-hand 'Console MIDI IN' column -- you have to auto-detect them, or configure them manually, if you want them to respond to MIDI, in that case.

Now everything is working perfectly!
Many thanks for your attention and your patience. :D

mdyde

Re: [SOLVED] MIDI trigger vs Sonar DAW

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks, Rogerio.

You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)