It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

Free Version Installation Woes

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

miket

Free Version Installation Woes

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Hey everybody,

I've been wanting to get into the Hauptwerk world for years now, but only recently am I able to even think of affording it. I've been an amateur organist for most of my life, and I'd like to start featuring the instrument more prominently and effectively in the music that I write.

I'm no stranger to virtual instruments, and I was glad to see that Hauptwerk can function as an AU in Logic alongside whatever other VI's I may be using. This is a big selling point for it as opposed to ., which, though I really enjoyed test-driving, can apparently only run as a standalone program. I need things to function in my DAW, and the somewhat dated organ library I've been using for years now just isn't cutting it anymore.

Anyway, I wanted to give the free version a whirl, and was hoping to do it quickly today and to then purchase the Basic version (to be upgraded in the future) in the last hours of the 15% off sale, but I can't seem to even get the free version going.

I see that I'm not the only one to run into a Java-related issue with the installer. While I was able to get the necessary older version of Java easily, the installer just doesn't seem to do anything after an initial configuration, regardless.

I feel like I've run into this same problem a number of times over the years, and it's always been a deterrent for me to explore Hauptwerk more closely, even hypothetically. Now that I'm really interested, it's quite disappointing to find that there are some strange hoops to jump through just to try the thing, and then to not even be able to try it. I've never had any such issues with any other VI's before. It's usually a breeze.

Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

organsRgreat

Re: Free Version Installation Woes

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I don't have the technical solution you were no doubt hoping for, but I'll offer a few thoughts that just might help. I had a look in the Hauptwerk user manual, and see that no official support is available for users on integrating HW with Digital Audio Workstations; I can see the sense in that, as having designed a VST link which works with most DAWs, the designers presumably consider that they've done all they can in that direction.

I know that the first thing Martin Dyde advises in many situations is to make absolutely sure you have the most up-to-date version of any software you're using – the software itself, drivers etc.

If that fails, is there a forum for users of Logic? If you try approaching the problem from the other end, so to speak, you may have more success. Failing that, is there a more general forum for discussing this sort of problem? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of your DAW for advice?

I can tell you that HW works perfectly with Reaper as the DAW; Reaper is quite inexpensive for home use – about £45 I think - and you can try it free for an introductory period. I can appreciate that moving to a different DAW would be a big step, but if you've used one system it might not be too hard to get used to another. Of course you can explore Hauptwerk itself by simply running it as a stand-alone program – I've done so on three Windows computers with very different specifications and it's always worked perfectly.

One of those computers has an absolutely basic specification, and is extremely slow, but once everything is set up HW works fine provided I stick to smaller sample sets, such as the St. Anne's set provided. That computer only cost £200, and is handy for other low-power jobs as well. Remember that you can reduce HW's processing demands by disabling some of its facilities – see the user manual for details. A simple MIDI splitter box duplicates the MIDI data stream from my keyboards, and I needed an inexpensive MIDI-to-USB converter to get that data into the computer. As many sample sets cost much more than £200 you may feel that a second computer would be appropriate. It has the advantage of reducing the load on the CPU in your main computer, making audio glitches less likely.

Good luck!

organtechnology

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:29 pm

miket wrote:Hey everybody,

I've been wanting to get into the Hauptwerk world for years now, but only recently am I able to even think of affording it. I've been an amateur organist for most of my life, and I'd like to start featuring the instrument more prominently and effectively in the music that I write.

I'm no stranger to virtual instruments, and I was glad to see that Hauptwerk can function as an AU in Logic alongside whatever other VI's I may be using. This is a big selling point for it as opposed to ., which, though I really enjoyed test-driving, can apparently only run as a standalone program. I need things to function in my DAW, and the somewhat dated organ library I've been using for years now just isn't cutting it anymore.

Anyway, I wanted to give the free version a whirl, and was hoping to do it quickly today and to then purchase the Basic version (to be upgraded in the future) in the last hours of the 15% off sale, but I can't seem to even get the free version going.

I see that I'm not the only one to run into a Java-related issue with the installer. While I was able to get the necessary older version of Java easily, the installer just doesn't seem to do anything after an initial configuration, regardless.

I feel like I've run into this same problem a number of times over the years, and it's always been a deterrent for me to explore Hauptwerk more closely, even hypothetically. Now that I'm really interested, it's quite disappointing to find that there are some strange hoops to jump through just to try the thing, and then to not even be able to try it. I've never had any such issues with any other VI's before. It's usually a breeze.

Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

Hi Miket,

So as I understand it you want to load Hauptwerk on an Apple computer but you can not get the installer to function? Is that correct?

So what kind of computer are we talking about? Model, CPU, memory capacity and etcetera?
Which OS are you running on that computer and which version (in decimal please).
Where are you located?

Let's start there and see if I can see the problem.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 pm

There's some kind of weird bug in the installation kit that causes this issue on OSX/macOS, or maybe it was Java on the Mac, or something in the vicinity. (Don't remember the details). It seems to strike a lot of people since there have been quite a few discussions here on the subject.

The last words I recall from Martin were to be persistent and keep trying it. Eventually, and for some mysterious reason, it will work.
Grant

mkc1

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 am

More info here about the installer bug, including some workarounds. http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16414#p123354

wlsartore

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 am

FWIW I installed the advanced HW onto a Mac Mini (OS 10.14) this weekend without a hitch.. It wanted the right flavor of Java , went out and found it., installed it and continued with the HW install. The only issue I had was trying to get an older midi interface to work with the new OS. Getting a new interface (Roland UM-One Mk2) fixed that.

Bill S

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)