It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

Hauptwerk Free Edition on Ubuntu Linux

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

erikds

Re: Hauptwerk Free Edition on Ubuntu Linux

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 am

Hello Sebastian,

Congratulations with your interesting solution.
I would be grateful if you would provide a tutorial on how to compile and configure what is needed to get Hauptwerk running under Ubuntu.

All the best.

Erik.

Johannes Sørensen

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 6:23 am

Hello Sebastian

Welcome to this thread and thanks a lot for your detailed success massage.

I am rather new to Linux and have had problems to get an audio interface work properly other than the onboard sound card and decided to let it rest until the next version of Ubuntu Linux is released at the end of this month and give it another try. Maybe I then will ask you for some advise.

Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 bit has stability problems on my hardware. The normal Ubuntu Linux 64 bit runs rock stable.

Also I am very interested in tutorials.

Best regards
Johannes

bassti

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 9:33 am

So here is the tutorial to get Hauptwerk runnning under Ubuntu. I hope this long, technical post is appropriate for this forum here.

While writing this tutorial, I was installing Hauptwerk parallel on my netbook to check the individual steps (I will remove it again, because multiple copies of the free edition are not allowed...). Here, it all worked fine (and also the netbook, Asus eeepc, has enough power to run Hauptwerk FE satisfactorily).

The installation procedure of Ubuntustudio is not describe here. This can be found in various wikis. However, I tried to use the standard (non-realtime kernel auf jaunty jackalope) and Hauptwerk also works with nearly the same performance. So I think the common Ubuntu/Kubuntu version of jaunty is sufficient (in a few weeks the new version is to be released, and I cannot guarantee, that this how-to works also with karmic). In a later post, I can give some tips on performance tuning (polyphony/avoiding glitches/latency).

So the first task is to install the jack audio server:
Open a konsole/xterm (alt+f2 konsole) and type
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install jack

and the corresponding GUI (you don't need this, but configuring jack via the graphical interface is a lot easier)

sudo apt-get install qjackctl

If jack and your midi interface is working correctly can easily be checked with the pipe-organ synthesizer aeolus

sudo apt-get install aeolus

Start qjackctl, deactive "realtime" and press start. Then the sound server should start. Run "aeolus" (in another command window or via alt+f2) and watch the connections in jack (connection window). Connect the system--aeolus in the audio tab and in the alsa-midi tab, your midi interface(hopefully reckognized by ubuntu) with aeolus.
If you now play on your keyboard/organ/whatsoever, and select some stops in aeolus everything should work fine, given that the MIDI channels and keyboards are configured correctly. If not, then something with jack is probably not working. The jack settings are crucial for the Hauptwerk performance later on (the smaller the latency time the better of course). To get the best performance, install the ubuntustudio packages and the realtime kernel and run jack in realtime mode.

The next step is a working installation of the latest wine with wineasio support. The standard wine version from the ubuntu repositories is (from my experience) not the best choice, so add the developers repositories via

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/Scott%20Ritchie.gpg | sudo apt-get add -q "Scott Ritchie.gpg"
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/jaunty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

and install wine

sudo apt-get install wine wine-dev  libjack-dev

you will also need the wine sources to build the asio drivers and the jack souces (to build jack support for wineasio)

The next step is the installation of wineasio. First, you need the asiosdk from Steinberg. The file is name "asiosdk2.2.zip". You have to register as a developer at Steinberg. But perhaps a google search for this file will also help (otherwise, there are many forums/wikis devoted to wine asio compiling).
Then, you need the wineasio drivers from http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/
which are named "wineasio.???.tar.bz2".
Unzip both files and copy the file "asio.h" (only this file) from ASIOSDK2.2/common/ to the wineasio directory.
Go to the wineasio directory and type
make

to build the drivers. Warnings can be ignored (but errors of course not). Then type
sudo make install

then the dll has to be registered via (also in the wineasio directory)

regsvr32 wineasio.dll

Now, wine has to be configured for asio/jack usage. The configuration tool is winecfg. The important tab is the "audio" tab. Make sure, that "jack" is DEactivated and ALSA is activated. Exit winecfg. Wine is now running in low-latency mode.

Now (I'm not sure if the order is important) Hauptwerk is installed. Get the free edition and double-click the icon
(or type wine InstallHauptwerk.exe)

Hauptwerk is installing as usual (XP/VISTA). I select a different VST folder, because otherwise the dll would be located somewhere in the .wine subfolder system. It is easier to handle the vst plugin later on if you choose /home/yourname/hauptwerk. All other install questions can be answered as in window systems. Finally, the usb-dongle driver complains, which has to be ignored. I have not tried to install the basic/advanced Hauptwerk version up to now, but as soon as I have progress there, I will report on this (the license is on its way).

Hauptwerk FE is now ready for use. You can double-click the standalone version in the ubuntu start,wine,hauptwerk menu. If you select "wineasio" in Hauptwerk/Audio output and connect audio interfaces in jack, all should work, however, I have serious problems with hanging notes and audio glitches at latency times I would prefer to have for serious organ playing. You can play a bit around with the settings in qjackctl (buffer size etc.) to find the best settings for your system. But I never managed to come to a result I am satisfied with.

That's why I tried to use the VST interface. One possibility is to use the dssi-vst software, found on
http://breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst. (Wine and wineasio is also needed for this.)

the file is named dssi-vst-08.tar.gz
Again a software, you have to compile yourself.
Unzip/untar the file
tar -xvzf dssi-vst-08.tar.gz

change into the folder dssi-vst

install all necessary dependencies:
sudo apt-get install alsa-source dssi-dev libasound2-dev liblo-dev

and type
make

due to a bug (? at least at my system), you have to copy some files: type
cp dssi-vst-scanner.exe dssi-vst-scanner
cp dssi-vst-server.exe dssi-vst-server

then, hopefully all went correct
and by typing
sudo make install

you install the vsthost application.

Congratulations, you have now everything ready, to run Hauptwerk under Ubuntu with high performance:
start Jack with
 qjackctl

and with
vsthost Haupwerk.dll

in your vst directory, Hauptwerk is started. The graphical interface is a bit slow (keys pressed are not displayed immediately) but this does not affect the main Hauptwerk-functionality.

The vsthost software can be compiled also with support of the Steinberg vst-sdk. I use this with higher performance than the build without, but you again need a sdk from Steinberg (where also the asio-sdk is found).

At the end, this tutorial/how-to looks very complicated. But, however, it is just typing commands in the terminal (in the correct order) and getting some files from the internet. It would be much easier, if Steinberg wouldn't have such a restrictive license on the asio-sdk. Then, it would be possible to distribute a debian/ubuntu binary package for the vsthost/wineasio stuff (and Hauptwerk as well, if Martin/Brett allows that).

Best wishes and good luck, I hope I have not missed some important point/command,
Sebastian

Johannes Sørensen

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 am

Hello Sebastian

Thank you very much for your work to write this profound tutorial.
It has brought this thread to a new level.

Best regards
Johannes

mdyde

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 10:52 am

Hello Sebastion,

Thanks for the interesting info.

While writing this tutorial, I was installing Hauptwerk parallel on my netbook to check the individual steps (I will remove it again, because multiple copies of the free edition are not allowed...)

You are actually allowed to have it installed on multiple computers at once - the licence restriction is just that it mustn't be running on two computers at the same instant. Hence no need to uninstall it from the first computer.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

merez

PostTue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Hello,
sorry for reviving ths old topic, but I have found that there may be a Linux-Wine support for HASP dongles. The link is:
http://www3.safenet-inc.com/support/has ... endor.aspx
(search for string: Sentinel HASP Wine Support for Linux )
Is this the one that Linux needs for running Hauptwerk VST?

ggoode_sa

PostTue Oct 19, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Merez,

It is certainly worth trying. Thanks for posting this - I did attempt to get the old WINE support (Ubuntu 08.04) working in 09.10 but did not get it working. I did send a request to the Alladin developers when 10.04 came out (for a new WINE support version) so it looks like this is what they have created. I'll be downloading and testing this coming weekend.
Graham Goode
Johannesburg, South Africa

merez

PostTue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 am

Hello,
thank you for your reply. I do not have any dongle-protected software, so I cannot test it. Let me know how it works.
Have a successful week :)
merez
Previous

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)