It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

Question on Calliope

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Robert Douglass

Question on Calliope

PostTue Nov 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Hello! I've just started testing the Hauptwerk Free Edition, now that my RAM has been expanded past 256 MB (up to 768 MB now). For my first sample set, I selected the Pipeloops Calliope, because of its favorable download time on a dial-up connection.

The sample set comes as a RAR file, which Hauptwerk unpacks during the installation. Unfortunately, the result does not contain any WAV files (such as other sample sets do), but only a set of HBW files, one for each note. They must be encrypted sound files, but for some reason Hauptwerk did not decrypt them, even though the sample set is supposed to operate without a license.

As a result, the Calliope does not play (even with the volume turned up). Such a pity. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is there a problem with the source file?

Thanks, -- Robert Douglass

ggoode_sa

Re: Question on Calliope

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 am

Hi Robert,
Haupwerk will only 'decrypt' the files when playing them, so you will never see a wav file from an encrypted sampleset. That being said, there are sample sets that do not require a HW dongle license for decryption purposes. I have not played the Calliope so can't comment on what is happening to your setup. If you're looking for a small download to try with HW3 Free I'd suggest the Beta version of the Jeux D'orgues 2 - Stiehr Mockers organ available from http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/media/jeuxdo ... ptwerk.rar
GrahamG

ReinerS

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 2:50 am

Hello Robert,

I just read about your problem with the Calliope. The wave-files are in fact encrypted (so you get the .hbw files), but they SHOULD work with the Free edition and I had tested it with HW3.23 without the dongle being installed before uploading.
I would expect though that HW responds with an error message stating that you do not have a valid license to load the samples if that is the problem.
While I'm writing this something else comes to my mind though. You may not have "pulled the stop". In this respect the calliope behaves like a pipe organ, you have to pull the stop before you can start playing. In the calliope GUI the "stop switch" is the nice little wheel to open the steam flow. You need to click on it so it opens, then (provided that your audio outputs are set up correctly) the calliope should play.

Best regards
Reiner

Robert Douglass

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 8:49 am

You may not have "pulled the stop". In this respect the calliope behaves like a pipe organ, you have to pull the stop before you can start playing. In the calliope GUI the "stop switch" is the nice little wheel to open the steam flow.

That's it! Problem solved. Now it works just fine, and sounds really great!

Thanks a million. -- Robert

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)