It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am

Wanamaker Organ for Hauptwerk

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

mauriciofritz

Wanamaker Organ for Hauptwerk

PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 am

Does the Wanamaker Organ exists for Hauptwerk?

Martin_Dümig

Re: Wanamaker Organ for Hauptwerk

PostTue Mar 09, 2010 4:01 am

Hello mauriciofritz,

mauriciofritz wrote:Does the Wanamaker Organ exists for Hauptwerk?

To see whether an organ of a specific organbuilder exists in the list, do the following:

Click on "Products" in the line of links on top of this page.
    Click on "Instruments".
    Click on the small triangle at the line "Builder" - and you get a list of all builders that have contributed a sampleset from one of their organs.

There is no name Wanamaker in this list yet - so an organ from this organ builder is still missing.

Best whishes - Martin Dümig
You can play Bach on every organ.

gecko

PostThu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Wanamaker isn't the name of an organ builder, but of a department store, eventually bought by Macy's (or by whomever owns Macy's). They had a huge theater organ in their main store in Philadelphia. Part of it has been restored and is now working, but not the whole thing. A friend of mine was working on it for a while, but I don't know anything else about it. I can ask, though.

Here's more:
http://www.wanamakerorgan.com/
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

gecko

PostThu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm

Sorry, *symphonic* organ, not theater organ.
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:52 am

If you have seen this CONSOLE as often as I have,

you would most likely not ask the question,

as not many folks would want to build a virtual console this HUGE ! ! !....... :roll:

Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

ten87

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 12:25 am

TheOrganDoc wrote:If you have seen this CONSOLE as often as I have, you would most likely not ask the question,
as not many folks would want to build a virtual console this HUGE ! ! !....... :roll:

Finding a computer with enough power and memory to play a 469 rank organ, wet or dry, would be a challenge, too! :)

Terry

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 3:33 am

If it were even possible, a candidate for a multi-computer setup maybe? How many DVD's would even a scaled down version occupy?

One of my favorite 'really big' organ installations was the Chicago Stadium Barton. Only the console now exists as the pipework was all destroyed many years ago in the warehouse where it was stored after being removed the the Stadium. The electronic "replacement" (I won't even refer to "it" as an organ) isn't even worth listening to.

I still remember Al Melgard playing that huge console. An "interesting" remark from my uncle, whom I accompanied to the stadium (as a youngster) for various events, said, you could actually "feel" the music of that organ in the men's room. :shock:

Then there's the story of a near riot that Melgard stopped by "opening her up". The organ was so powerful, that the glass in the overhead light bulbs began to shatter and "rain" down on the would-be rioters who ducked under the seats for cover. 8) The "almost" riot was as a result of a disputed referee's decision at a sporting event. Melgard thought he would be fired, but was considered a 'hero-of-the-day'. BTW, I wasn't at that "event"

I posted info about this famous organ previously, but for those who aren't familiar here it is again: http://catoe.org/barton.html and http://www.theatreorgans.com/BARTON/

Rgds,
Ed

Lougheed

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 9:09 am

engrssc wrote:Then there's the story of a near riot that Melgard stopped by "opening her up". The organ was so powerful, that the glass in the overhead light bulbs began to shatter and "rain" down on the would-be rioters who ducked under the seats for cover.

Great story, but I don't believe it for a minute!

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Why don't you read it for yourself. I also heard it personally from a former, now deceased, former neighbor who was employed as an usher and was there and experienced the "story". Also, you might want to check with CATOE, opus1100@catoe.org http://www.catoe.org/ who validated the "story" before printing it, your call. :shock:

http://www.catoe.org/barton.html :
Built in 1929 by the Barton Organ Company of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. This Organ was a one of a kind instrument. Designed by Dan Barton to be capable of filling the huge stadium which could accommodate crowds up to 20,000. An article in the February 1, 1929 Diapason describes the instrument. "The console is of large size and is to played from six manuals with 828 stop keys on the console. There will be a double arrangement of combination Pistons and combination tablets. Al Melgard, who worked for Barton as an organ instructor and demonstrator and was no doubt associated with the stadium organ from the beginnings. At some time in the thirties Al became the staff organist. At one event when Al was on duty at the console, a riot broke out caused by an unpopular decision following a boxing match. Al threw on all the stops and played a rousing version of the National Anthem which helped quell the rioters and also shattered light bulbs and windows in the cavernous stadium. Expecting dismissal because of the damage, Al was instead rewarded with the promise of a lifetime position.

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 8:05 pm

As I understand it had some ranks on 50 " wind pressure and the rest of the organ

on higher than normal wind pressure also..... !..... !.....!..... :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 pm

True, and during a stirring march, you felt the music maybe like thousands of Butt Kickers which I don't think existed in those days. You definitely heard that organ outside as you approached the building, always a thrill, at least for me. :)

Rgds,
Ed

TheatreOrganNo1

PostMon Mar 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Someone could always record certain registrations. Wouldn't mind having a sampleset of the full organ/tutti. All the strings : )
Jake C.
Organ Tuner, Shop Assistant at Carlton Smith Pipe Organ Restorations.
Atos-Cicatos
bartonbrass@sbcglobal.net

Antoni Scott

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 pm

There is nothing special about the Wanamaker organ other than it's size ( 460+ ranks) and the 90+ rank string division. The acoustics in the building are not that good and the organ sounds muffled. I can't imagine how many gigs of RAM it would take to sample it correctly.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)