It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am

88-note keyboard split note 1-35 for pedal and 36-61 Great

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

mauriciofritz

88-note keyboard split note 1-35 for pedal and 36-61 Great

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 am

Hello,

can I split a 88-note Keyboard to use notes 1-35 for pedal and 36-61 for Great? I found this Thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5042 but it don´t work.

AndrewW

Re: 88-note keyboard split note 1-35 for pedal and 36-61 Great

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 3:38 am

There are a few different issues for you to consider here:

Hauptwerk is expecting the first note of the manuals to be MIDI note 36, and the first note of the pedalboard to also be MIDI note 36. Given that you can't currently transpose one half of a keyboard separately to the other half within Hauptwerk, then simply changing the first note on the pedalboard to MIDI note 1 will not trigger any sounds (there are no sounds to be triggered on MIDI note 1).

The other issue is that your 88-note keyboard is unlikely to be sending out MIDI note 1. It is normal for middle C to be MIDI note 60. If I have worked it out correctly, then the bottom A on an 88-note keyboard is MIDI note 21 (with the C above that being MIDI note 24).

If you want to split the keyboard to play Pedals in the bottom three octaves and manuals for the next five octaves, then you can either do this at the keyboard itself (dependent on which model it is using split and transpose), or do it through MIDI programs that are freely downloadable which enable the incoming MIDI information to be modified. Either method should enable both note number and channel and to modified accordingly (bottom three octaves of the keyboard sending on MIDI Channel 1 with +12 note transpose, the next five octaves of the keyboard sending on MIDI Channel 2 with -24 note transpose).

However, I'm not sure whether this is really what you want to do. As an alternative, are you aware of the couplers available in sample sets? Page 70 of the User Manual puts it very well as follows:
Bass couplers are special in that they only couple the lowest note played. They are fairly common on smaller instruments, where the organist may not be competent in the use of the pedals, and allow the Pedal division to be played 'automatically' by the lowest note played on a manual. For Hauptwerk users without a MIDI pedalboard they are an especially useful inclusion. Melody/Melodic couplers are similar, but couple only the highest note played, thus emphasizing a solo melodic line.

The default St Anne's Moseley has a "PED BASS" coupler thumb piston which implements the above and a number of the available sample sets have similar functionality included. Perhaps this might serve your needs better at this time?

I hope this helps
Andrew

mauriciofritz

Re: 88-note keyboard split note 1-35 for pedal and 36-61 Great

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 am

Thank you very much! It works! And the PED BASS Button i used before, too...

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)