It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm

Paramount 310 running in Ubuntu Linux

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Paramount 310 running in Ubuntu Linux

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Guys

For all those wanting to try the Paramount 310 and the Hauptwerk Free version in Ubuntu Linux... I have things working to my own satisfaction in Ubuntu 9.10, so now I can share what I did :D

1) I began with a new default installation of Ubuntu 9.10, which I then connected to the internet so that I could add the neccessary bits and pieces.
2) I then uninstalled/removed PulseAudio, and added Jack and WINE (the most recent version of Wine from http://www.winehq.org/download/deb) using the Synaptic Package manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager). (And accepted all the other packages that needed to be downloaded as part of Jack and WINE)
3) In order to get the best performance from my Creative card I then installed WineASIO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=wineasio) which connects ASIO applications running in WINE to the Jack Audio Connection Kit audio server. (Don't forget to run the "regsvr32 wineasio.dll" command after installing the DEB as this sets it up for WINE to use)
4) I then set up the Jack Audio Connection Kit up, configured for my Creative Card in Jack with a sample rate of 48000Hz. After saving the configuration I started the Jackd audio server.
5) I then installed Hauptwerk 3.30 (letting the installation run until the error with the USB dongle driver - then rebooted the computer and restarted Jack)
6) I double clicked on the Hauptwerk (Stand Alone) icon on the Ubuntu desktop and selected the Free Version, etc.
7) I then configured Hauptwerk's MIDI inputs and Audio properties, selecting WineASIO as the Audio Device, and my pedalboard and two MIDI keyboards in the MIDI settings...
8) Finally, I installed the Paramount 310 sample set from the downloaded RAR, and then loaded it (and had a cup of coffee while it loaded for the first time)
9) I was then able to play the organ! And good golly!!! This is going to be fun ;) Great stuff Alan and Joe!

I did do a little bit of tweaking after that (Jack settings and Hauptwerk Speaker Level Adjustments), and loaded the combinations file (Warning! Hauptwerk in WINE will not load the Organ Information html pages from Hauptwerk, so if you are stuck getting the combination file to the right place just post here and we'll guide you through).

This installation is running the default Ubuntu kernel and Jack without realtime. My next step is to install a realtime kernel and get Jack setup to run in realtime too... which should mean I can reduce the latency from 1024 to a much smaller buffer amount.

I also did a quick test of Hauptwerk in WINE without JACK running, using the dsound drivers, and it did work... but had much higher latency and broke up / crackled constantly. I could have tweaked those settings a bit more to get it better, but WineASIO worked perfectly so I didn't bother. I haven't tried the St Annes, but expect that all organ that run at 44.1khz will need Jack running at 44.1khz, and those running at 48khz will need Jack running at 48Khz, etc.

If you're trying to do something similar, post your story here too... and if you have any questions do please ask!

Having fun!
GrahamG

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)