It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

Organ plays with all stops closed

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Accordion mojo

Organ plays with all stops closed

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 3:31 pm

I am currently playing the St.Anne's free edition. With all the stops closed, I get a full organ sound when I depress the right swell pedal...the sound is just audible when the pedal is closed, and increases with more pedal. It happens when I load Hauptwerk without ever enabling any stops.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Jim Reid

Re: Organ plays with all stops closed

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Sounds as if you are depressing the Crescendo pedal.
If so, you are experiencing what is supposed to occur
when using the Crescendo shoe.
Jim Reid

Accordion mojo

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Jim Reid wrote:Sounds as if you are depressing the Crescendo pedal.

...that would make sense if there were stops open and keys were depressed, but not if they are all closed and no keys being used. I tried it with one solo stop, the clarion 4....while playing a tune, I increased the volume and the full organ sound started bleeding and mixing with the clarion stop, and it got worse as I continued to increase the volume. Something is not right.

engrssc

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Accordion mojo wrote:I am currently playing the St.Anne's free edition. With all the stops closed, I get a full organ sound when I depress the right swell pedal.

The right pedal is not a swell pedal, but as Jim said it is the crescendo pedal. St. Anne's has only one swell, that's the one on the left. The other question would be, did you disable the built in OS sounds, assuming you are using Windoz, maybe XP or earlier? :oops:

Rgds,
Ed

wurlitzerwilly

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Accordion mojo wrote:
Jim Reid wrote:Sounds as if you are depressing the Crescendo pedal.

...that would make sense if there were stops open and keys were depressed, but not if they are all closed and no keys being used. I tried it with one solo stop, the clarion 4....while playing a tune, I increased the volume and the full organ sound started bleeding and mixing with the clarion stop, and it got worse as I continued to increase the volume. Something is not right.

The right hand Crescendo pedal actuates stops blindly. You do not need any stops pulled to hear sounds when the Crescendo pedal is depressed. That's the way it's supposed to work and is quite normal.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

engrssc

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Accordion mojo wrote:...that would make sense if there were stops open and keys were depressed, but not if they are all closed and no keys being used. I tried it with one solo stop, the clarion 4....while playing a tune, I increased the volume and the full organ sound started bleeding and mixing with the clarion stop, and it got worse as I continued to increase the volume. Something is not right.

Some questions:
How are you playing the instrument? MIDI output of an organ, keyboard, or?
What are you using to increase the volume?
How are you controlling stops?
When you say no keys being used, does that mean you aren't pressing on any keys?
Did the Clarion 4' volume also increase?

Rgds,
Ed

Accordion mojo

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 7:42 pm

engrssc wrote:Some questions:
How are you playing the instrument? MIDI output of an organ, keyboard, or?
What are you using to increase the volume?
How are you controlling stops?
When you say no keys being used, does that mean you aren't pressing on any keys?
Did the Clarion 4' volume also increase?

Rgds,
Ed

Hello,
I am playing midi out through M-Audio keyboard, and setting the volume with Win xp (the volume control on the M-Audio keyboard does not function with Hauptwerk, although it does with my virtual piano program)...stops are set by clicking them with mouse individually or using the presets on the console, and yes, no pressing on the keys...its hard to say if the volume of the clarion increased because it was drowned out.
The left pedal increases the volume, but only very slightly, and not enough to be usefull..this is why I thought the right pedal was the volume..if I set the volume with win xp, using the #5 console preset, the loudness is fine, but if I select Lieblich Gedact 8 and Clear Flute 4 using the same loudness setting, it is barely audible through my headset...hence the need to increase the volume. Using the Cresendo pedal has no effect when the console preset is at #5, but any lesser preset it takes over if fully depressed. I can work arround the problem by using Windows, but thought I could do it from the console.
Thanks
Mike

Accordion mojo

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 7:47 pm

wurlitzerwilly wrote:The right hand Crescendo pedal actuates stops blindly. You do not need any stops pulled to hear sounds when the Crescendo pedal is depressed. That's the way it's supposed to work and is quite normal.

Ok...now it's starting to make sense..thanks

Accordion mojo

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 7:50 pm

engrssc wrote:
Accordion mojo wrote:I am currently playing the St.Anne's free edition. With all the stops closed, I get a full organ sound when I depress the right swell pedal.

The right pedal is not a swell pedal, but as Jim said it is the crescendo pedal. St. Anne's has only one swell, that's the one on the left. The other question would be, did you disable the built in OS sounds, assuming you are using Windoz, maybe XP or earlier? :oops:

Rgds,
Ed

I didn't disable any widows xp sounds...why would that affect Hauptwerk ?
Thanks
Mike

mdyde

PostSun Jul 11, 2010 4:32 am

Hello Mike,

The left pedal increases the volume, but only very slightly, and not enough to be usefull..

The left pedal is a swell pedal, not an overall volume pedal - it controls the shutters on the virtual swell box model, and (only) affects the ranks on the Swell division (keyboard), which are enclosed in that swell box (as on the real St. Anne's organ).

A swell box does affect volume (amplitude) to some degree (its effects vary from rank to rank), but it also affects harmonic content. (Real pipe organs don't have a volume pedal!)

Have a look also at the following sections in the Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk):

- 'Background A brief tour of a pipe organ' (starts on page 67 in the v3.30 version of the guide).
- 'Using Hauptwerk: The virtual console' (starts on page 72).

You can adjust Hauptwerk's overall output level on the 'Organ settings | General options' screen, and in your audio interface's control panel. For best audio fidelity you should aim to set the levels all as high as possible without clipping (audio distortion) occurring on full organ.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)