It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Johannus swell pedal

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Johannus swell pedal

PostThu Dec 16, 2010 4:00 pm

johannusfan wrote:Just when I think I have MIDI all figured out...

I have a Johannus Opus 37. I've successfully configured the pedals for the StAnnes organ. Left is Swells and right is Crescendo (0 value on the controller does not completely move the pedal image to fully "closed," however). When loading the Salisbury organ, the MIDI inputs will not move the swell indicators. And, I can't change the default position of the swell pedal to 0 (closed), even though the General settings are set for 0 default. All the organ mappings are good.

Also of note for those of you troubleshooting MIDI interface issues: Brett sent the coolest note pointing me to the MIDI diagnostic log (in the Support/Tutorial section). This is an invaluable tool for examining your interfaces! I was searching for a download from any other site to do this - it's right here!

If your expression pedal is not moving the virtual pedal all the way closed then you just need to set the mnimum and maximum values properly. Most expression pedal potentiometers do not transmit a full range which covers the full value of continuous controller data (0-127), so if you use MIDI logging it should show you what that minimum and maximum value is then you set that under General settings | Continuous controller MIDI inputs for each connection and it should then move the pedal fully open and closed.

Hauptwerk 4 will detect all of this automatically for you, but in the current version 3.30 you need to set it manually.

I hope that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

sonar11

PostThu Dec 16, 2010 5:57 pm

My Johannus (Sweelinck 20) has a range of 55 to 127, which I discovered using midi-ox. I suspect that the Opus will use the same values.

johannusfan

PostThu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks both of you - that helps greatly. Yes, I figured that it was not transmitting the bottom numbers, but had no idea it was in the 50's! That is solved.

I still have issues with getting any of the pedals to move in the Salisbury organ. StAnnes is cool - works perfectly. Saved the settings so they should be carried over to the Willis. But no go.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Dec 16, 2010 8:56 pm

If you have your General settings set properly and working for St. Anne's then leave those as they are, then you just need to load Salisbury, and go to Organ settings | Connect continuous controls...and map the physical controllers (those listed on the right side menu) that you set in General settings to the virtual expression pedals (those listed on the left side menu) you want to control. See also the Continuous control set up tutorial which covers how this is all done.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

johannusfan

PostSat Dec 18, 2010 9:34 am

Agreed - that seems to be the only thing left. So I double-checked my work:
Solo pedal to Midi continuous Swell General
Swell pedal to Midi continuous Crescendo General

No indicator action.

I even changed the condition default of the pedals to "0" to see if they drop to "closed" status. That changed nothing. So I agree with you that there is a linkage problem somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 am

Hello Johannusfan,

Please do the following:

- Load the Salisbury sample set.
- Turn on MIDI logging ('General settings | General options'). (Click 'keep logging MIDI' when prompted.)
- Move the swell pedal on your Johannus a couple of times between its minimum and maximum positions.
- Use 'File | Create diagnostic file ...' to save a diagnostic file.
- Turn MIDI logging off again.
- Send the diagnostic file to us via a support request, with a brief note referring to this forum topic (so that we know the background and who it's from etc.): http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support-ticket/

Please don't then change any other settings in Hauptwerk until we've replied to you, so that we can see your current settings and advise you which settings you need to change to make the pedal work properly with the Salisbury's Swell pedal.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostSat Dec 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Johannusfan,

PM sent Sat AM.

Pax,
Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

johannusfan

PostSat Dec 18, 2010 6:36 pm

The problem has been resolved. Organ Technologies worked with me and after quite some time of troubleshooting (over an hour), worked some magic and got the mapping corrected. Both organs now work properly. Hallelujah! Thanks so much. Everything is swell, now (oh brother!).
Previous

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)