It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

Organ dimension required, please

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

peterorg

Organ dimension required, please

PostWed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 am

Hi,
I am putting together a console using a Yamaha piano, using the midi output of this for the Great and mounting a seperate midi keyboard above it for the Swell. I have a midi pedalboard and all three items are working well. However, I am now in the process of making a "proper" bench and would like to position the pedalboard relative to the keyboards in as "standard" a way as possible.

I appreciate that everyone is different and by trial and error I should find the best layout for me, but as a starter can anyone give me an idea of the following dimension, perhaps taken from your own organ or the one you play, so I can get an idea of a starting point, please. No doubt there is a standard dimension layed down for this in organ consoles specifications but I have not been able to find it despite intensive searching on the web.

Take a vertical line down from the very front edge of the notes on the lowest keyboard in the stack down to the pedalboard.

What is then the distance from this line to the front edge of the middle D# on the pedal board?

Hopefully this picture will explain what I am after:

http://139.184.162.156/dimension.jpg

By front edge of the D#, I mean the very first part of the raised part of the note that you come to if you moved your foot towards the note.

I would really appreciate it if a few people could reply as, despite trial and error with a temporary bench, I can't really decide whether I am on the right track or not.

Many thanks,

Peter

engrssc

Re: Organ dimension required, please

PostWed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 am

Martin_Dümig

PostWed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 am

Hello Peter,

there are different norms for different countries. A short AGO spec is here: http://organ.wicks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf The german BDO Orgel-Spieltisch-Normen Version 2000 may be bought at Orgelbau-Fachverlag Rensch, ISBN 3-921848-10-5, the BDO Spieltisch-Normen from 1972 could be sent as a pdf file on request.

Regarding your drawing: The BDO distance between front of lowest keyboard to the far end of the sharp keys is 300mm, the length of the sharp keys cs and ds is 130mm - so your requested distance is 170mm.

Best regards - Martin Dümig
You can play Bach on every organ.

peterorg

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 2:27 am

Hi Ed and Martin,

Very many thanks for your replies which are extremely helpful. I was a few inches out of those guidelines so now know what I should be aiming for.

Regards,

Peter

pwhodges

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am

It's curious that the German recommendation has the pedal sharps several inches nearer the player than the UK/US suggestions. Does it go with less use of the heels in pedalling?

Paul

Martin_Dümig

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 2:53 am

Hello Paul,

this didn't attract my notice. I will double check with the newer BDO norm from 2000. Perhaps the continental organ players have statistically shorter legs?

Martin
You can play Bach on every organ.

James

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 am

Or perhaps the continental shoe sizes are statistically smaller, resulting in shorter toe lengths. On the other hand, perhaps the continental organists only play pieces rich in sharps and flats.
James

engrssc

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am

Could this solve the issues? http://www.organshoes.com/default.htm :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)