It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

MIDI keyboard triggers stops

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

wjoefox

MIDI keyboard triggers stops

PostSun Dec 12, 2010 6:27 am

Hi all,

For some reason, the MIDI keyboard I have connected to Hauptwerk wants to pull out a particular stop every time I play a note. For example:
- I press an A down
- The note sounds
- With the note sounding, Great to Pedal comes out.

A similar sequence of events happen for some other notes, but with other stops coming out.

A quick response would be super!

Thanks.

mdyde

Re: MIDI keyboard triggers stops

PostSun Dec 12, 2010 7:14 am

Hello wjoefox,

First of all, have you followed the instructions in the 'Quick-start: stand-alone' section of the user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk; starts on page 44 in the current v3.30 version of the guide) to select the correct MIDI channels for the MIDI input paths for your MIDI keyboard(s)?

Basically, you define your MIDI ports/channels on the 'General settings | MIDI input paths' screen and then assign those paths (ports/channels) to keyboards and switches (stops etc.) using the 'General settings | Keyboard MIDI inputs' and 'General settings | Switch (MIDI) inputs' screens respectively.

Also have a look at the 'MIDI input' section in the user guide (starts on page 121) for more details about how Hauptwerk v3's MIDI settings work.

If you want to check what MIDI channels your keyboards are using, you can use Hauptwerk's MIDI logging functionality, covered in the 'Learning the Hauptwerk MIDI logging utility' tutorial here:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/support/tutorials/

Also, which edition of Hauptwerk are you using? If the Advanced Edition, do you have any MIDI leads (real or virtual) connected from MIDI OUT ports?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wjoefox

PostSun Dec 12, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your swift reply - I need it for a concert on Saturday!
The edition is the newest free edition.
I have tried to follow the instructions, but they are rather difficult to follow!
I think that this might help to understand what the problem is: 'what do I need to do to alter the function of a MIDI keyboard key?' I am sure that something with a setting like this will solve it.

Thanks,
WF

coupler

PostSun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am

Off topic but........
I need it for a concert on Saturday
I apologise for sounding negative, however, the licensing agreement for the Free Edition states “The Hauptwerk Free Edition may be used for non-commercial, home personal use only”

Time to take the plunge and purchase Hauptwerk (holiday sale on now). You won't regret it!
Cheers,

David Russell

mdyde

PostSun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello WF,

Many thanks for your swift reply - I need it for a concert on Saturday!
The edition is the newest free edition.

Thanks for the interest in Hauptwerk.

I've moved your post here from the Technical Support area, since that section of the forum is meant for licensed users, or those evaluating Hauptwerk with a view to purchasing a licence in the near future.

Can I clarify - do you fall into the latter category, i.e. are you evaluating Hauptwerk with a view to purchasing a licence soon (in the next two months, say)?

If not, very sorry, but we can't provide formal support for the Free Edition. However, other Hauptwerk users might be able to help you here.

(As David said above, the Christmas sale does make it a particularly good time to order Hauptwerk licences!)

The forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0 (expected January 2011, with free upgrades to all those ordering Hauptwerk now) will make configuring MIDI much easier, so you might prefer to wait for that if you have trouble understanding the current MIDI settings/instructions.

Also as David kindly pointed out, I'm afraid the Free Edition is only licensed for home, personal use. Using it for public concerts definitely isn't allowed within the licence agreement.

Thanks for your understanding.
Best regards, Martin.

wjoefox

PostMon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am

I think that you've made a slight assumption, without my helping: I wasn't very clear(!) I need to check that Hauptwerk works with my electric keyboards, and therefore once I have checked that it works, I would like to buy a license - before the concert if it works. Hope that's okay with you.

WF

mdyde

PostMon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 am

Hello WF,

No problem at all - sorry for any confusion. I did actually ask in my previous reply whether you were evaluating it with a view to buying licence. If so, then of course we're very happy to provide support.

Do you know which MIDI channels each of your MIDI keyboards use? (The MIDI logging tutorial shows how to determine those channels.) If so, we'll try to write some step-by-step instructions for how to select those MIDI channels for you.

Or do you need help you with determining your keyboards' MIDI channels too?
Best regards, Martin.

wjoefox

PostTue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 am

Hi,

I am currently using Hauptwerk with an electric piano, so I think it's MIDI channel 2. The problem seems to be mainly on the bottom octave on the great, where the key draws random combinations. It's driving me mad!

Thanks,
William.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks, William.

Do you intend to use any other MIDI hardware to control Hauptwerk, e.g. additional MIDI keyboards, or MIDI stops or MIDI pistons?

If not, how do you plan to control the virtual stops and pistons? (You can use a touch-screen/mouse or computer keys if you like.)

Do you want to configure your electric piano always to play just one virtual keyboard (e.g. the Great), or do you want to use Hauptwerk's re-directable keyboards feature to allow it to be in real-time flipped between the various virtual keyboards a sample set (e.g. St. Anne's) provides?
Best regards, Martin.

howeks

PostTue Dec 14, 2010 11:14 am

You say that you're using an electronic piano to drive this. If the piano has a way to split the keyboards, it may be sending on a different channel, or simultaneously on two channels in the lower octave(s). That could easily cause what you're seeing. As many others here have recommended, load midi-ox onto your computer (if you're running a 32 bit OS) or some other midi viewing program to see what your keyboard is actually transmitting.
Regards,
Kirk

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)