It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

Advice on purchase of midi-USB interface

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

peterorg

Advice on purchase of midi-USB interface

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi,
I have put together a 2 manual plus pedalboard organ using a Midi Yamaha piano (great) with a USB keyboard mounted above (swell) and Midi 32-note pedalboard.
The midi output from the piano goes to the PC via an EMU 0404 sound card and works fine.
The swell USB keyboard goes directly to the PC and works fine.
The midi output from the pedalboard goes to the PC via a cheap midi-USB interface - just the kind that is >not recommended< in the Hauptwerk manual! However, I had it to hand to try and it does work but occasionally the pedalboard stops working and the easiest way to restart it is to shut down the computer and reboot. This removes the power from the midi-USB interface and seems to get things going OK. It happens more (I think) if I am playing with many stops selected but I really can't say this is the case.
Assuming the cheap midi-USB interface is the problem (comments, please??), I have been looking to replace this with a more suitable unit. One which is recommended in the Hauptwerk manual is the Motu Micro Lite. While its 5 inputs are more than I need now, they could be useful in the future.
Does anyone have any comments on this unit, please? Any problems encountered? Would it be a good route to go to try and solve my problem?
Very many thanks for any comments.
Peter

oliver_mayes

Re: Advice on purchase of midi-USB interface

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 5:08 pm

I wouldd get a MIDI-merger and merge all 3 (2manuals and pedal board) to the EMU 0404.
Ollie Mayes

peterorg

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Ollie,

Many thanks for the reply. I had not considered a midi-merger.

Do you or does anyone else have a particular recommendation of a unit? There seem to be a number of them out there judging by a quick Google search.

Thanks,

Peter

organtechnology

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 5:46 pm

If ALL the keyboards and pedal board have a MIDI connection then
Google is your friend. http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSLMERGER

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

oliver_mayes

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 pm

I use MIDI Solutions Quadra Merge that I bought on E-Bay for $55 US.
Ollie Mayes

wurlitzerwilly

PostMon Dec 20, 2010 8:14 am

peterorg wrote:Hi,
The midi output from the pedalboard goes to the PC via a cheap midi-USB interface - just the kind that is >not recommended< in the Hauptwerk manual! However, I had it to hand to try and it does work but occasionally the pedalboard stops working and the easiest way to restart it is to shut down the computer and reboot. This removes the power from the midi-USB interface and seems to get things going OK. It happens more (I think) if I am playing with many stops selected but I really can't say this is the case.

Sounds like your cheap MIDI interface doesn't have enough buffering, that's why they're not recommended.

Assuming the cheap midi-USB interface is the problem (comments, please??), I have been looking to replace this with a more suitable unit. One which is recommended in the Hauptwerk manual is the Motu Micro Lite. While its 5 inputs are more than I need now, they could be useful in the future.
Does anyone have any comments on this unit, please? Any problems encountered? Would it be a good route to go to try and solve my problem?

I have not had much luck with the MOTU Ultralite. The MIDI handshaking with Hauptwerk would fail, even though the audio part worked. It was also a major pain for a turnkey system, because it has a soft-on power switch, which means you have to press the button on the front. Short of setting up a relay with a false finger attached, the only way round that one was to modify the Ultralite, with an FET to switch it on, which of course immediately nullifies the warranty.

The E-MU 0404 is a great device if it fully meets your needs.

Regards,

Alan.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 20, 2010 8:29 am

Hello Alan/Peter,

Just to clarify - the MOTU Microlite (5-in/5-out MIDI interface) and MOTU Ultralite (audio+MIDI interface) are different products:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite/
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/

I have a MOTU Microlite here and have found it to be excellent on OS X and Windows, although some users have reported that it occasionally it doesn't get recognised when Windows boots, and they need to un-plug and re-plug its USB lead so that Windows detects it again and/or reinstall its driver.

I had that happen to me a few times on an older Windows partition, but as far as I remember it's been fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 partition.

The other multi-port MIDI interfaces that are commonly used with Hauptwerk are the M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 and 4x4 Anniversary Edition:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=midiinterfaces

MIDI mergers are fine provided you don't have excessive MIDI traffic (should be sufficient for just merging a few MIDI keyboards), otherwise multi-port MIDI interfaces will potentially give better performance and tighter timing.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)