It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm

Midi input to HW coming in on wrong channel

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

jcooperal

Midi input to HW coming in on wrong channel

PostFri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 pm

2 manual console organ. Great = CH1, Swell = CH2, Pedal = CH4.

Running Midi-OX on Notebook computer.

When I run a C scale on GREAT, it shows correct channel on the notes ON/OFF.

When I run a C scale on SWELL, it shows 1st note ON via channel 2 and then all others ON/OFF on channel 1 not CH2.

When I run a C scale on PEDAL, it shows 1st note ON via channel 4 and then all others ON/OFF on channel 1 not CH4.

What this gives me when I play the Prudhoe Meth. via HW and only set GREAT stops, those stops also play on the SWELL and the PEDAL.

I have taken the notebook and all my cables and connected to a Rodgers Trillium and everything works fine. That should mean that my cables and MIDI/USB pigtail are all working correctly.

Is this a fixable problem because it seems to be on my organ side. Dirty contacts? MIDI output messed-up? What?

If you have suggestions, I am most appreciative..

Jerry

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Midi input to HW coming in on wrong channel

PostSat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 am

(Topic moved here)
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

ggoode_sa

PostSat Jan 08, 2011 3:35 am

Hi Jerry,

It sounds like your MIDI console is having major issues with assigning the correct channels. What MIDI hardware are you using? From the behaviour that you have described it is not a Hauptwerk issue but a MIDI one and can only be solved at the hardware level.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

organtechnology

PostSat Jan 08, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Jerry,

What exactly is the two manual console that is giving you problems? Is it a manufactured unit or a midi keyboard stack? If so are you using a MIDI merge box? Seems like the fact that your setup works with the Trillium isolates the problem to the two manual console so please tell us more about the console itself and its MIDI capability.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostSat Jan 08, 2011 5:10 pm

I assume you're talking about your Lowrey NT-400 based on seeing that organ in your profile. Last night I tried to locate an online user or service manual without success. I did see a manual for a similar vintage Lowrey that suggested (to me at least) that they didn't use Note Off messages. If that's the case I'd assume they send Note On with zero velocity for a release. The release message would still have to be transimitted on the correct channel of course, so I guess I'd still want to have someone take a good look at that organ's early MIDI implementation. Could easily be a hardware problem, but could just as easily be a wrong mode of operation. Some Lowreys change MIDI modes (1 thru 4) based on whether there's a diskette in the drive. Wish I lived across the street and could just take a quick look... Wish I had the manual...

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)