It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

New Sandy bridge proccessor

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

organmad

New Sandy bridge proccessor

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 am

Will hauptwerk support the new Sandy-Bridge proccessor??

Regards
Jonathan

mdyde

Re: New Sandy bridge proccessor

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 am

Hello Jonathan,

New Intel and AMD CPUs are fully backwardly-compatible with older ones, so yes - Hauptwerk should work fully on the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, and should perform at least as well as with older CPU generations of equivalent specifications.

We haven't had an opportunity to test and benchmark with the Sandy Bridge CPUs specifically yet, although I wouldn't expect any problems.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organmad

PostFri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 am

Thankyou very much for the response!

Regards
Jonathan

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 26, 2011 1:08 pm

The new Sandy bridge processors seems very interesting, packing a lot of power for the price. The 2600k has a passmark performance similar to Xeon W3680 (costing 3 times the 2600k) and a bit less powerful than the i7 980 extreme (again, 3 times the price).

The only problem for now is to find 8GB sticks to be able to reach 32GB of ram. So far didn't succeed to find 8GB NON ECC memory sticks (Kingston is planning to release some in the future).

Best regards
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

organtechnology

PostWed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I noticed that the i3-2100 has a locked clock and no turbo boost. That would eliminate the task of turning off Turbo Boost to get rid of ASIO sync interrupts which produce the clicks and pops. But it doesn't Hyperthread.

Anyone actually built one yet?

Oh and Samsung is shipping 8GB chips now I believe.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

ReinerS

blown away by the bridge!

PostTue Feb 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi all,

just put together my new Hauptwerk (and sample set development) PC, Sandy Bridge i5-2500K, 16GB RAM, MB Gygabyte H67A-UD3H. I chose the H67 chipset because for my purpose the on-chip graphics engine of the i5 is fast enough.
With stock clock frequency (I'm not a big fan of overclocking) I measure a static polyphony of >7625 (max of what the polyphony testing organ allows). I cannot tell you the CPU load though (definitely >80% on all cores), since as soon as I run Task Manager while running the test I get a periodic clicking noise (once per second) starting at about 6000 voices.
I think this is quite some power for a 200 Euro quadcore CPU. The neat thing about the SandyBridge series aside from that is that you get a sufficiently fast on-chip graphic as well, and the mainboard supports up to 32GB (once the required 8GB memory bars become available), so it is quite future proof as well.
Only drawback at htis time is the chipset bug. However, it only affects the SATA-II ports, so you can get away with using just the SATA-III ports on the board. (I also put in a PCIe-SATA controller, since I am using more than two drives).

Hope this info is helpful to somebody.

Best wishes
Reiner

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)