It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:56 pm

Assigning computer keys - simple question

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

rainworthgord

Assigning computer keys - simple question

PostFri Feb 04, 2011 6:49 am

I've just bought a cheap USB computer keyboard which I can plug into my laptop which contains the free version of Hauptwerk, so that I can label the keys with the stop names to which they are assigned without damaging the laptop or having to try to remember what I have assigned to where (difficult at my age!).

I've got it set with one row of keys for Great, one for Swell and one for Pedal. On the Swell I want to re-assign the Oboe to the hash key (#) which would be its logical place in that row of keys, but the Appendix in the manual does not seem to have a code number for this key. Is it known by any other name than hash? There is a key listed called AsciiCircum which I can't identify - is that another name for the hash key? Or am I missing something simple? (I usually am).

Any help gratefully received.

Gordon

mdyde

Re: Assigning computer keys - simple question

PostFri Feb 04, 2011 6:54 am

Hello Gordon,

I don't know the key code off-hand, I'm afraid (it might also depend on your keyboard language/region), but if you temporarily turn on Hauptwerk's MIDI logging:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/MIDI-Logging-Tutorial.pdf

... then it will record the key codes of any computer key presses to its log.

(The forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0 will also be able to detect and configure key presses for stops/pistons/etc. automatically.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

el_supremo

PostFri Feb 04, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Gordon,
> the manual does not seem to have a code number for this key

I've also seen this key called "pound", "number", or "octothorpe". Its ascii key code is hex 23 (decimal 19).

AsciiCircum might refer to the circumflex symbol which on my keyboard is above the digit 6. Its ascii key code is hex 5E (decimal 94).

Pete

rainworthgord

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks, seems my best bet will be to wait for version 4.

In the meantime I've been finding that occasionally the computer key (S) I've assigned to the Swell Rohr Flute is sometimes (not always) inclined instead to open up a dropdown menu from the task bar above the console, and if I try to clear it it closes the console down and then reloads it, during which of course everything I have drawn is cancelled in mid-piece. Any thoughts? (Bear in mind I'm using a separate computer keyboard plugged into my laptop so that I could label each key with its designated stop or piston).

mdyde

PostThu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 am

Hello Gordon,

Assuming you're using Windows/PC, perhaps your USB computer keyboard is sometimes sending Ctrl+S or Alt+S? On Windows, Ctrl+keys trigger menu short-cuts and the Alt key opens the menu (standard Windows behaviour).

In Hauptwerk v3.30 Alt+S will open the 'Organ settings' menu and Ctrl+S will save your combination file with an automatically-generated filename.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rainworthgord

PostThu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks. My laptop is a Dell but my usb keyboard seems more Dellboy if this is the fault.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)