It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Vista 64bit audio problems

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

rig64

Vista 64bit audio problems

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 am

Help!!!
I am having trouble getting a new set up to work correctly
I had tried Hauptwerk on a spare computer running windows XP and after a few tweaks all worked well and I started to plan a console and up grade to the PC.
I had seen that if you want to get the most out of the system then a 64 bit operating system was needed, so I loaded vista 64 bit onto the PC and tried it and it worked well and there was a marked improvement to the sound quality, but with vista on the system and the old XP files the hard drive was just about full.
I had a larger drive to hand so I did a clean install of vista 64 bit and AVG internet security and did all the updates and then installed Hauptwerk.
Now the fun starts!! when I load Hauptwerk it makes some very funny sounds there are some pops and cracks in the background and when I play a note it pulses like a Doppler effect.
I have been through the fixes for windows audio but still the same, I have tried to play music in media player and that’s ok, I have even tried a new sound card but still the same so I have run out of ideas and I think I am at the limit of my PC knowledge so any help will be fantastic

Many thanks for taking the time to read all that

mdyde

Re: Vista 64bit audio problems

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 am

Hello rig64,

Do you definitely have all current Windows updates applied, the latest driver installed for your audio interface, and the audio interface's manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver selected as the audio device on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen in Hauptwerk?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rig64

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Martin

I have checked for updates and its gone to service pack 2 and an odd one or two since then the new sound card came with drivers for vista 64 bit so I think I am up to date

Tim

mdyde

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 am

Hello Tim,

What audio interface are you using?

Even if the CD/DVD that came with it had 64-bit drivers on it, they're probably not the latest versions - go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the latest drivers from there.

Once that's done, go to 'General settings | Audio outputs' in Hauptwerk and make sure you select the manufacturer-supplied ASIO (*not* DirectSound) driver for your audio interface from the device list.
Best regards, Martin.

rig64

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 am

Well done sir

There was no ASIO driver listed in the general options and did not find one on the web site for the card but found a program called asio4all and now it is working
Should have asked sooner

Many many thanks

mdyde

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks, Tim.

You're welcome.

In general, on Windows platforms, we strongly recommend using semi-pro/pro audio interfaces that have good manufacturer-supplied ASIO drivers, since they're designed to give good performance for real-time (=low-latency) 'pro audio' applications like Hauptwerk. E.g. we list some popular audio interfaces we've tested with in the 'Hauptwerk prerequisites':

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf

E.g. the M-Audio 2496 (PCI) is a popular and low-cost basic stereo 'semi-pro' audio interface that's very good value for money in terms of performance and audio quality. They can often be had for very little money on eBay.

ASIO4All seems to work fairly well with some consumer sound-cards, and is definitely better than no ASIO driver at all, but my experience has been that it often doesn't give performance as good as a manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver.

ASIO drivers are usually bundled and installed as part of a manufacturer's standard driver installer, so it's still worth making sure you have the latest driver from the manufacturer installed.
Best regards, Martin.

rig64

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 am

The budget is some what of a necessity at present due to a lack of work but at least I can keep learning to play and I am stating a 4 manual console as if it goes to plan I will post some pics soon

Once again thanks

Tim

Gedakt

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Martin,

The "Hauptwerk Prerequisites" states -

"We do not recommend the Creative interfaces for use with Hauptwerk because of their restrictive ASIO drivers" and ".... those drivers do not fully support. multiple sample rates ....."

I agree with this in respect of the earlier Creative "Live" and "Audigy" soundcards. However, the "X-Fi" series is a vastly different proposition. The 32 and 64-bit ASIO drivers support sampling rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz. Also latency is extremely short.

BTW - are all HW sample sets sampled at 48kHz?

Regards,

Max

telemanr

PostThu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Sample sets vary. Some are 44 and some are 48.
Rob Enns

Gedakt

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks for that, Rob.

Regards,

Max

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 am

Gedakt wrote:Hi Martin,

The "Hauptwerk Prerequisites" states -

"We do not recommend the Creative interfaces for use with Hauptwerk because of their restrictive ASIO drivers" and ".... those drivers do not fully support. multiple sample rates ....."

I agree with this in respect of the earlier Creative "Live" and "Audigy" soundcards. However, the "X-Fi" series is a vastly different proposition. The 32 and 64-bit ASIO drivers support sampling rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz. Also latency is extremely short.

Regards,

Max

Hello Max,

At the time of writing the current user guide I believe the new cards from Creative weren't yet available that had those options, however we'll look at updating the user guide for version 4.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gedakt

PostFri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your response. I should have added that the sound quality from 64-bit X-Fi is absolutely stunning using 24-bit HW sample sets.

Since upgrading to a 64-bit quad core processor, 16gBytes RAM & Windows 7 to permit unrestricted loading of sample sets, the improvement has been most noticeable in the reproduction of reed stops. Hitherto, loading organs using 16-bit, reeds tended to display a harsh quality which was quite distracting and caused me to favor the flutey ranks.

Regards,

Max

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)