It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

Modifying sample set wav file

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

peterorg

Modifying sample set wav file

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 am

More out of curiosity than anything, I tried modifying a .wav file in the St Anne's sample set:

C:\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents\OrganInstallationPackages\000002\StAnnesMoseley-Great-Trumpet8\

using Audacity. I amplified the .wav file and then exported it as a .wav file and copied it into its original fodler. I then started Hauptwerk and forced it to load the source samples. However, as the organ was loading I received the error:

"Could not load sample ID 003625 (StAnnesMosely-Great-Trumpet8/060-C.wav) into pipe ID 003625 - the specified loop range does not exist within the file. Message code 4664"

Is it possible to use Audacity to modify sample .wav files or should some other application be used? I presume Audacity is not keeping all the original file information in its original format.

Thanks,

Peter

Martin_Dümig

Re: Modifying sample set wav file

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 am

Hello,

as far as i know Audacity is not conserving any loops and release points. It is importing the wav-file and disregarding this information, and when writing out the modified samples, there are no loops or release points any more.

Someone should implement the creation of a text-track containing this elements when reading a wav file and also using this text-track when exporting to a wav-file. Thought about doing this, but i think it will be a very time consuming task even to understand the existing sourcecode.

With best regards - Martin Dümig
You can play Bach on every organ.

gingercat

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

If you have the advanced version of Hauptwerk, you can just use Hauptwerk's built in voicing tools to tweak individual pipes. I'm not sure what the licensing policy is for the St Anne's set, but I imagine it probably doesn't allow you to directly modify the individual .wav files.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Mike 353

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 pm

The old Cool Edit allowed you to increase or decrease the amplitude of a sound, without losing the other information, such as looping points. You could also use filters to brighten or dull the sample, with the same results, as long as the filter is applied across the whole sample.
Mike

peterorg

PostTue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 am

Thank you for all the comments. I tried the trial version of Cool edit and this does, indeed, work. As I say, it was more out of an interest than anything to see if the wav files could be modified and obviously they can!
Peter

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)