It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 am

How do you get the crash cymbal stop to work with a EL90

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Ben Jackson

How do you get the crash cymbal stop to work with a EL90

PostSun Mar 06, 2011 4:20 am

Hi all,
Does any one know a good way to get the crash cymbal stop work on the Paramount 310 on Yamaha EL90 using the reg change foot switch or the left foot switch on the volume pedal on the EL90?
Ben

toplayer2

Re: How do you get the crash cymbal stop to work with a EL90

PostMon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 am

Ben,

If the EL90 transmits any kind of MIDI message when the paddle switch on the swell pedal is closed, the Hauptwerk can map this to the Crash Cymbal. I am using a Yamaha HX-1 and the footswitch does not trigger any MIDI events. It will be necessary to attach a third party MIDI encoder.

A very inexpensive option is the X-Keys Strip. This would give you sixteen programmable buttons which could be used for pistons or thumb buttons.

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkstick.php

Joe

Ben Jackson

PostMon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the info I will try that out once I've got version 4 of HW and the Paramount 310 installed on my mac mini.
Ben :D

wurlitzerwilly

PostMon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

toplayer2 wrote:Ben,

If the EL90 transmits any kind of MIDI message when the paddle switch on the swell pedal is closed, the Hauptwerk can map this to the Crash Cymbal. I am using a Yamaha HX-1 and the footswitch does not trigger any MIDI events. It will be necessary to attach a third party MIDI encoder.

A very inexpensive option is the X-Keys Strip. This would give you sixteen programmable buttons which could be used for pistons or thumb buttons.

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkstick.php

Joe

Hello Joe.

I just checked with Michael W and he says he thinks that the EL90 does send MIDI when those switches are used, so as Ben's using Hauptwerk 4, it will be able to 'learn' the setting and map it to the Crash Cymbal as you describe.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 am

Ben Jackson wrote:Hi all,
Does any one know a good way to get the crash cymbal stop work on the Paramount 310 on Yamaha EL90 using the reg change foot switch or the left foot switch on the volume pedal on the EL90?
Ben

Hello Ben.

My apologies, it appears that you can't do what you want to do because the EL90 does not transmit MIDI exclusive to the two switches you want to use. I checked with a friend who uses one professionally and he's checked it out for us.

So, I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board. :(

Joe's suggestion of a X-Keys Strip seems like a very good alternative.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

engrssc

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)