It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

Hauptwerk via Wine on Linux

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Magnus Johansson

Hauptwerk via Wine on Linux

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I am running Hauptwerk 3.23 Free Edition via Wine 1.3.23 on Mepis Linux 11.0. Since I don't have a MIDI keyboard connected to this computer I have not been able to test the MIDI functionality. If anyone here already uses Hauptwerk via Wine, or would be interested in doing so, I would like to ask you to help me test and evaluate it on http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=10074.

Regards,
Magnus Johansson

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk via Wine on Linux

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello Magnus,

(Topic moved here.)

Although of course we don't formally support the Free Edition or running Hauptwerk on non-supported/emulated platforms such as Linux/Wine, in general I would strongly recommend using the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.0.0), which includes a Free Edition and can be downloaded from our downloads page:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/downloads

Hauptwerk v4 has lots more functionality above v3, even in the Free Edition:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/support/release-notices/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

gingercat

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 am

Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Magnus Johansson

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Magnus,

(Topic moved here.)

Although of course we don't formally support the Free Edition or running Hauptwerk on non-supported/emulated platforms such as Linux/Wine, in general I would strongly recommend using the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.0.0), which includes a Free Edition and can be downloaded from our downloads page:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/downloads

Hauptwerk v4 has lots more functionality above v3, even in the Free Edition:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/support/release-notices/

Hello, Martin,

and thanks for your reply. I will follow your recommendation and download Hauptwerk 4 to try it out with Wine and Linux although version 3.23 is running very well.

Best wishes,
Magnus Johansson

ggoode_sa

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 5:53 am

As already posted elsewhere, the problem with running Hauptwerk in WINE is that WINE does not have USB drivers for the HASP USB Dongle. Linux itself now has support for the HASP Dongle, but the last time I tried, WINE was unable to access it. Further research proved that it might be possible if one were willing to compile your own version of WINE with a patch that would enable the HASP dongle to be accessed... a bit beyond my level of expertise I'm afraid. For running the Free Edition, it works perfectly though :)

GrahamG

Magnus Johansson

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 9:28 am

ggoode_sa wrote:As already posted elsewhere, the problem with running Hauptwerk in WINE is that WINE does not have USB drivers for the HASP USB Dongle. Linux itself now has support for the HASP Dongle, but the last time I tried, WINE was unable to access it. Further research proved that it might be possible if one were willing to compile your own version of WINE with a patch that would enable the HASP dongle to be accessed... a bit beyond my level of expertise I'm afraid. For running the Free Edition, it works perfectly though :)

GrahamG

Thanks for the information, Graham. Have you used Hauptwerk Free Edition via Wine with MIDI-keyboards with good results?

ggoode_sa

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am

Have you used Hauptwerk Free Edition via Wine with MIDI-keyboards with good results?

Yes, using WineASIO to route the Audio to the Jack Audio Connection Kit. I use a light weight Linux distribution called Puppy Linux - the Lucid 5.25 version based on Ubuntu 10.04.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Montre64

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi,

For a few months, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is my default OS now.
I've install HW4 via Wine, and everything would be fine, but there are some strange noises on the speakers/headphones when I'm playing something. Independently of sample set.
I've found info somewhere, that probably CPU is to charged.

My PC:

Athlon 64 5000+
4 GB RAM
HDD 7200 RPM
GF 9600 GT

I will be gratefull for some advices.

Greetings!

ggoode_sa

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 am

Hi,

Unfortunately Ubuntu 12.04 LTS uses PulseAudio by default, which makes it hard to install and configure the Jack Audio Connection Kit that WINEASIO will use to connect to the sound system for low latency playing. So you are left with using DirectSound -> ALSA WINE drivers, and setting the buffer in Hauptwerk to at least 1024, maybe even 2048 in order to get non-distorted sound.

If you're willing to attempt an install of Jack and configure your computer to use the Low Latency Kernel which allows Jack to run at low latency realtime values, then mark the package 'ubuntustudio-recording' for installation. Use the quick filter to search for lowlatency and check the latest version of 'linux-image-lowlatency' for installation. This will then add the low latency kernel and add all the Ubuntu Studio audio packages including the Jack Audio Connection Kit with the PulseAudio connector, and should add the necessary audio group permissions needed to run them.

I no longer use Ubuntu, so there may be more steps needed to get everything running smoothly. I personally use Precise Puppy Linux, which is a much smaller/leaner distribution based on the Puppy Linux build system that integrates with the Ubuntu packages.

Also, I assume that you are starting Hauptwerk using the Free Edition setting, as if you are using either the Basic or Advanced demonstration settings then you will be hearing the bell ringing at various intervals :)

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Montre64

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks for your reply Graham.

I have HW4 Free on Ubuntu. I've changed the Unity to the Gnome desktop, but there is still the same result.
I will try your advices. Hope it will works (I have big plans with Linux :lol: ).

P.S. To be precise: Sound is not distorted - there are some kind of rap, pop(?)

P.S.2. Maybe is it possible to make independent session as "Ubuntu studio user", which can be choose, when you want to log on?

ggoode_sa

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 am

Pop / Click is possibly a distortion caused by the HW audio signal being too strong for your audio card, turn down the Organ dB adjustment setting to see if that helps.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Montre64

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 am

Unfortunately it doesn't help.

I'll try to load Ubuntu studio packages.

Regards!

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)