It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 pm

What's happened to my Swell Organ?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

rainworthgord

What's happened to my Swell Organ?

PostWed Aug 17, 2011 1:39 pm

I've not been on here for a while because everything has been sweetness and light ... until today. Then I connected Hauptwerk up to just one of my two keyboards (to save time, because in my small house setting up and dismantling become major operations, and I was only wanting to try out one item which didn't need a second manual). But I found that playing that keyboard (the one I use for the Great Organ) through the Midi/USB cable I also earmark for the Great, both Great and Swell virtual keys on my computer were moving andstops on both manuals were sounding, even with Swell to Great off.

I have now tried coupling up both my keyboards, but found that the same thing was happening with my Great keyboard, but nothing was happening at all if I switched to my second (Swell) keyboard.

I've tried doing a reset through auto-detect, which has got rid of the Great also playing the swell by default, so to speak, but trying to re-configure my second keyboard to play the Swell, it just doesn't want to know. I followed the on-screen instructions (highest note, lowest note, gentle touch, heavy touch) but the 'Done' button does not then make itself available to me to click and complete the operation. All my other settings (stops, pistons, swell pedal) etc work as normal, but how do I get my Swell to re-activate?

As always, all help/suggestions gratefully received.

mdyde

Re: What's happened to my Swell Organ?

PostWed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello Gordon,

Am I right in assuming that each of your keyboards is connected to the computer via a separate USB port (rather than all being connected via MIDI leads to a multi-port MIDI interface, which is then connected to the computer by a single USB lead)?

Assuming so:

Hauptwerk queries the MIDI devices available when it launches. If you had launched Hauptwerk with one of your USB-MIDI keyboards disconnected then when you launched Hauptwerk you would have been shown the following warning/question:

"Some audio or MIDI hardware that Hauptwerk is configured to use cannot be accessed. Do you want to continue, in which case Hauptwerk will attempt to update your settings to use the hardware available currently, or exit and keep your settings?"

I think you must have chosen to continue when that warning was displayed, in which case Hauptwerk would correctly have re-defaulted the MIDI ports for the MIDI devices that remained attached, i.e. your remaining USB-MIDI keyboard.

Please try the following:

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.
- Make sure that all of your USB-MIDI keyboards are attached again.
- Launch Hauptwerk.
- Go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab and make sure that all of your USB-MIDI keyboards are ticked in the left-hand column.
- Load St. Anne's.
- Use 'Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard' to reset all MIDI settings.
- Now use right auto-detection to configure them again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rainworthgord

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks Martin

I've now tried following your suggestion, but it still didn't work so I tried to do it manually which only made it worse because now neither of my keyboards will connect.

So I started again, following what you said. When I open up 'Midi In ports' there are no 'keyboards' as such to tick in the left hand column, so here beginneth my confusion. All I have is 'USB Midi', 'USB Midi Cable' or the 'Hauptwerk VST....'. Since both my keyboards are connected to separate USB ports by separate but identical Midi to USB cables I ticked the second option 'USB Midi Cable'.

With both keyboards already connected and switched on, I then loaded St Annes and went to organ configuration wizard to reset my Midi settings. It brought up a menu with 'reset organ preferences' and 'reset midi/key trigger settings...' both ticked, so I clicked on 'next' which brought up a 'confirmation box 'You chose to reset some settings to defaults'. I clicked 'Next' and then 'Finish'

Somehow whatever I had done (possibly when I tried to take the manual route) had also removed all my stop and piston settings. I was able to re-set these using the auto-detect, but still, when I try to follow the instructions to link my midi keyboards to the respective manuals (low note, high note, gentle, hard) the 'Done' button won't highlight to allow me to click on it. So now I don't even have one keyboard that I can play from, let alone two. :cry:

mdyde

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 6:05 am

Hello Gordon,

When I open up 'Midi In ports' there are no 'keyboards' as such to tick in the left hand column, so here beginneth my confusion. All I have is 'USB Midi', 'USB Midi Cable' or the 'Hauptwerk VST....'. Since both my keyboards are connected to separate USB ports by separate but identical Midi to USB cables I ticked the second option 'USB Midi Cable'.

Try ticking both your 'USB Midi' and 'USB Midi Cable' entries in the left-hand column on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen.

Does that allow your keyboards to be auto-detected again?

If not:

If you look at the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel (you can open it via the View menu if it isn't already open), do any of the MIDI activity LEDs flash when you press the keys on each of your keyboards?:

went to organ configuration wizard to reset my Midi settings. It brought up a menu with 'reset organ preferences' and 'reset midi/key trigger settings...' both ticked, so I clicked on 'next' which brought up a 'confirmation box 'You chose to reset some settings to defaults'. I clicked 'Next' and then 'Finish'

Somehow whatever I had done (possibly when I tried to take the manual route) had also removed all my stop and piston settings.

Yes - resetting your MIDI settings will reset *all* MIDI settings, including pistons and stops. However, it eliminates the possibility that some spurious settings might be interfering with your keyboards and it only takes a few moments to auto-detect your pistons/stops again.
Best regards, Martin.

rainworthgord

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 6:28 am

The Great is now working again but still not the swell. On the panel the activity lights flash when playing my great keyboard but not the swell

Gordon

mdyde

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 6:53 am

Hello Gordon,

In that case the computer isn't receiving MIDI from your Swell MIDI keyboard for some reason. Check that it's connected to the computer properly (exit Hauptwerk before disconnecting or reconnecting anything) and that it has power.
Best regards, Martin.

rainworthgord

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 am

Sorted now thank you. I tried swapping the USB\MIDI cables round, reconfigured, and hey presto! Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Gordon

mdyde

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks, Gordon.

You're welcome and glad to hear it's working properly now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)