It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 pm

USB Hub Problems

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

nsa66

USB Hub Problems

PostThu Nov 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I am currently running a pretty basic Hauptwerk setup with an old Technics PR-300 digital piano as controller, a respectable i5 6GB laptop, an Alesis IO2 Express audio interface (running under ASIO4ALL) and a single in-line MIDI/USB interface. A Iiyama touchscreen monitor is used for registration. When all USB devices are plugged separately into the PC, performance is excellent with no appreciable latency or audio problems. However, I am now in need of extra USB ports for wireless keyboard and mouse (which I would need anyway if I were to extend my Hauptwerk setup), so I bought a 7-port powered hub. Unfortunately, if the IO2 or MIDI is plugged in to this I get massive audio glitches, stuck notes, loss of MIDI connection etc. With the IO2 plugged directly into the PC things are better but occasional pops and crackles are heard, as if even the presence of the hub is dragging down system performance. Even increasing the buffer to the point at which latency is becoming debilitating does not entirely cure the problem. Interestingly, the problem is worse when the monitor USB connection is plugged into the hub.

The hub itself is a relatively inexpensive Cerulian unit from Maplin. I am going to return this anyway as I dislike the fixed, very thin hub to PC connector.

My main question is this: if a USB 3.0 hub were to be connected to the PC's single USB 3.0 socket using the correct USB 3.0 cable (with the new type B connector), would this improve the bandwidth to the sockets on the hub, even if the connected devices are only USB 2.0?
If this does not seem likely, I would be grateful if anyone can suggest any USB hubs which are proven to handle the degree of data transmission I require.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
For the ULTIMATE in LATENCY visit www.tubularpneumatics'r'us.com

engrssc

Re: USB Hub Problems

PostThu Nov 24, 2011 7:41 pm

No problem with a D-Link DUB-H7.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)