It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

Thank you to all the producers of free virtual organs

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

glenna

Thank you to all the producers of free virtual organs

PostThu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I just downloaded the Jorgensen virtual organ and it sounds great. I have downloaded all the free vurtual organs I could find online. And would like to thank each of you for all the hard work who allow us sample their organs. I can't afford to buy expensive sampled organs, but I have purchased two organs and apprecdiate the reasonably priced organs people sell also. I love the variety of different organs we can use for practice. I believe it is a great teaching experience to acutally hear organs from different eras. I have downloade a variety of organs English, French, Czech, etc.

From the bottom of my heart thank you for the important work of preserving and allowing the public to hear the wonderful sounds of pipe organs. Some are being destroyed and I hear the Jorgensen organs that were sampled no longer exist, if I understood it correctly. It is wonderful to hear history on your own digital organ.

Once again thank you very much,
Glenn Anderson

Mike 353

Re: Thank you to all the producers of free virtual organs

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 9:12 am

I echo your comments. Right now I simply cannot afford to buy any more sample sets, and I appreciate the free ones, some of which are of very high quality. The Theatre organ set just put out by Graham Goode is certainly one that could have had a price tag on it, and Graham has done much work in this area.

That is not to say that the higher priced sets are not worth what their producers are asking for them, because they compare very favorably with the commercial organs available at a much lower price, even when adding in the costs of computers, monitors, and in many cases conversions of existing consoles. I don't know of any commercial organ that equals the sounds of sets from Prof. Maier, Jiri, or Brett, and some other producers are putting out very good sets also, some at very reasonable prices.
Mike

sonar11

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 am

Free is nice, but paid is nicer... why? Because nothing in this world (including HW and the samples) can exist without money. Without paid support, we probably would not have HW itself (Brett / Martin cannot survive off of free bread), nor many of the very high quality and expensive samples currently out there. Nothing wrong with the idea of free sets or course, but the whole HW thing probably cannot survive without "donations" from time to time... :)

ernst

PostFri Jan 27, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Sonar11,

Couldn't agree more - there must be a living in this for the professionals concerned who supply us with such wonderful tools, otherwise one day it will stop....
I fully understand that many of us have limited funds, including the undersigned, but there should be a sound business model for providing continuity.

Ernst

ggoode_sa

PostFri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 am

Hi,

There is a lot of work that goes into producing a sample set, so any 'free' sample set is really a gift to the HW community and should be seen in that light. Commercial sample sets offer the HW user an excellent product, with product support and incredible value for money. For those who are unable to afford the commercial sets, you can still enjoy some of their sounds by listening to the demos posted on the various web sites, or to the performances posted on the Contrabombarde site. Please make it your job to support all of us by making sure that your installation of HW is as good as you can make it (even if that is only the Free Edition with a really good stereo speaker system) and then get your organist friends to play it (and tell them that your's is just 'entry level' technology).

Then, when you are able to, support the commercial sample set producers, as the organs released by all of them are superb :)

Kind regards,
GrahamG
ps. The Barton 3/7 Theatre Organ sample set is a community effort from the VTPO Yahoo Group, I'm just the spearhead getting it to you.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)