It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

Launching on Startup

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

kdt63

Launching on Startup

PostThu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 am

I still have a Hauptwerk v1.2 setup which works perfectly . My local church want to borrow it whilst their pipe organ is being restored. Can anyone remember how to make version 1.2 launch and open a .organ file automatically on start up? It is running on an XP SP2 machine.

mdyde

Re: Launching on Startup

PostThu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 am

Hello,

(Topic moved here, since Hauptwerk v1 is no longer supported.)

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to Hauptwerk v4. We have a highly-functional Free Edition of v4 if you can't afford a licence:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/editions/

You can just download and install it from our downloads page (it's part of the standard installation):

http://www.hauptwerk.com/downloads/hauptwerk-downloads/

V4 is compatible with all Hauptwerk v1-format sample sets and is hugely more functional and realistic than v1 was. It works on Windows XP SP2 and should perform at least as well as v1 did on older computer hardware.

It also has native functionality to launch on boot and to load a specified sample set on launch/boot.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostThu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

P.S. My apologies - I realised that you mentioned that you wanted to use Hauptwerk in your church, which the Free Edition wouldn't allow (it's licensed for home, personal use only).
Best regards, Martin.

Purator

PostFri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Hello,

I think you have to create a link to the organ file and move it to the Autostart-Folder. To Do so, right-click the *.organ-File and then click "Create Link" (or whatever comes close to this, I only have a German version of Windows). You then rightclick the newly created file (should be like "Link to xxxxxorgan.LNK") and click "Copy". Then click "Start" and goto "All Programs". You should find a Folder called "Autostart" there. Rightclick in it and then click "Paste". Now on Startup, the Organ file should be loaded.

Greetings
Purator

P.S.: So if I understand correctly, the Free Edition is not allow to be played "in public", but what if I buy the Advanced Edition for my home, and use it almost always there but want to play once at a church (e.g. to show them what it can as mentioned on the "How to suggest HW..."-Thread, or to replace the way-too-small-keyboard for the christmas-service). Do I have to buy a public-installation-licence for this one event, or is it ok as it is a unique event?

mdyde

PostFri Feb 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Hello Purator,

I think you have to create a link to the organ file and move it to the Autostart-Folder. To Do so, right-click the *.organ-File and then click "Create Link" (or whatever comes close to this, I only have a German version of Windows). You then rightclick the newly created file (should be like "Link to xxxxxorgan.LNK") and click "Copy". Then click "Start" and goto "All Programs". You should find a Folder called "Autostart" there. Rightclick in it and then click "Paste". Now on Startup, the Organ file should be loaded.

That's not actually quite correct - v1 didn't use Windows DDE/file associations for its .organ files. If I recall correctly, you could pass the name of a .organ file on the command line (a property of the shortcut used to launch the application), although I have to stress we definitely no longer provide any support for versions of Hauptwerk prior to v4.

P.S.: So if I understand correctly, the Free Edition is not allow to be played "in public", but what if I buy the Advanced Edition for my home, and use it almost always there but want to play once at a church (e.g. to show them what it can as mentioned on the "How to suggest HW..."-Thread, or to replace the way-too-small-keyboard for the christmas-service). Do I have to buy a public-installation-licence for this one event, or is it ok as it is a unique event?

It's no problem using a Hauptwerk Advanced or Basic Edition licence in public on an occasional basis with portable/temporary installations. It's only if you Hauptwerk is kept installed on a permanent or semi-permanent basis in a public place that you need a public installation licence.
Best regards, Martin.

Purator

PostFri Feb 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello

[Edit: deleted by admin. Thanks for your understanding.]

Greetings
Purator

kdt63

PostThu Mar 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks to all for your help. Problem solved.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)