It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

Getting Started: Creating Markers

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Re: Getting Started: Creating Markers

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 am

Hi,

The wave files need loop markers AND a release marker. How are you creating the release marker?

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Last edited by ggoode_sa on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octavin_32

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 am

Hi,
I added the release marker as well and now Hauptwerk load. But when I switch on the stop and play the notes... nothing sound. Other stops do so there must be something wrong with the pitch since selecting the files in the folder with double click those sond fine :roll:
Well, this is not as eassy as this loofs like
Thank you
Size is never important...........enough...

matmilne

PostSat May 04, 2013 4:41 am

I use Loop Auditioneer by Lars Palo, to set the loop markers, release tail and set the pitch manually.
it would be great if future versions of hauptwerk included a similar tool to perform those 3 required jobs. it really helps to avoid those pitch sampler chunk errors.

Octavin_32

PostSat May 04, 2013 5:02 am

Hi Matmilne,
well... I do the same thing: set the pitch manually with looperA. HW loads the stop and I can select that but... no sound come out when I press the keys. My surprise come when I double-click the wav files and the windows player makes those sound normally, but not HW. When I set the pitch in looper, the authomatic pitch detector detecs a crazy pitch that I change manually. I guess that the problem is probably there but I need to find out. Anyway I already contacted privately with a kind folk of the forum and we will sort out the solution. I hope to arrive to the problem and let others know about that here.
thank you
Size is never important...........enough...

toplayer2

PostSat May 04, 2013 7:02 am

If quality is paramount, doing all of the steps manually is the way to go. This belief comes from having prepared tens of thousands of samples over the past fifteen years.

By far the most difficult task is noise reduction. Unless done with utmost care, the sample will have obvious digital artifacts such as:

-a hollow sound like listening through a paper tube
-a "swimming" sound
-loss of upper harmonics
-loss of fundamental
-degraded attack transients
-spurious frequencies added to the note

When you record the pipes, hold each note for around ten seconds and wait three seconds after the reverb decays. This will give you plenty of space between notes to capture noise prints. There is only one tool that I trust for noise reduction, Sound Forge. IMO, nothing else comes close. Using NR is a skill not unlike learning to play the organ. Good technique takes lots and lots of practice. When I do NR, I always do one note at a time using multiple passes. I do an A/B comparison after each pass with the unprocessed copy of the sample. If I hear any degradation I start over. One single note can take several attempts. Many times a note simply cannot be denoised without messing it up. If that's the case you have to find a less noisy rank to record. Theatre organs are generally much noisier than classical instruments and only a few are suitable for sampling. If there is not at least a 40dB signal to noise ratio in the recorded notes, find another organ to record. Soft strings such as a Dulciana are the most difficult.

Doing loops and releases is also best done manually using your ears. The only good loop is one that cannot be detected by ear. Again, practice is the key.

Trimming the samples should also be done manually.

If it is beginning to sound like incredibly tedious work then you're quite right. It helps to be OCD. If a sample set producer is lazy and tries to do everything the easy way, the results will speak for themselves.

Joe Hardy

ggoode_sa

PostSat May 04, 2013 11:24 am

I agree with placing the release markers manually, trimming the samples manually, but looping manually does not make sense when there are great applications that search for loops and allow one to preview them and select the best. Yes, you have to listen and decide 'manually' but use the technology that we have to help you :)
GG

jocr

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 am

All this is well and good, and MIDI files could help with the tedium of holding keys, but what is the physical environment? Traffic noises, sirens, helicopters, vacuum cleaners, etc. can cause many redos.

James Pressler
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs