It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

A project of software to create sample-sets

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

musicalis

A project of software to create sample-sets

PostSun May 27, 2012 6:55 pm

I started to write a software that makes sample-sets very quickly. The software is still in prototype stage, but the results are encouraging. You will find at the address http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/ a Rar file containing a dozen of 5 octaves stops given as examples. These stops have not yet release tail, so they are dry, but with some reverb they are already pleasant to use.
This software is a sample-set generator for Hauptwerk and .. It is able to create complete sample-sets I mean packages of several organ stops, each stop consisting in 61 wave files : 036-c.wav, 037-c#.wav, 038-d.wav ........ 096-c.wav.
Sounds are made with Fourier synthesis, in 16 bits, 44.1 kHz, mono, samples can be 1 to 8 seconds longs. (the 12 demo stops are 2 s long).
Organ stops can be made by adjusting parameters or randomly.
Infinite loops are computed automaticaly by the software, this is very important as you spare a lot of time

erikds

Re: A project of software to create sample-sets

PostMon May 28, 2012 3:49 am

musicalis wrote:I started to write a software that makes sample-sets very quickly. The software is still in prototype stage, but the results are encouraging. You will find at the address http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/ a Rar file containing a dozen of 5 octaves stops given as examples. These stops have not yet release tail, so they are dry, but with some reverb they are already pleasant to use.

Very interesting.

To find out how these synthesized stops sound, what is needed to be able to play them from the keyboard?

All the best.

Erik.

musicalis

PostMon May 28, 2012 6:34 am

Hi
I have made this small custom organ for you (SampleSetCreatorDemo.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml)
download it here : http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/SampleSetCreatorDemo.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml

But do not expect sounds very nice, it is only a prototype. What I want to show is only that it is possible to create sample-sets by software. Now I have a lot of work to do to make the sounds more realistic.

erikds

PostMon May 28, 2012 8:10 am

musicalis wrote:Hi
I have made this small custom organ for you (SampleSetCreatorDemo.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml)
download it here : http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/SampleSetCreatorDemo.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml

But do not expect sounds very nice, it is only a prototype. What I want to show is only that it is possible to create sample-sets by software. Now I have a lot of work to do to make the sounds more realistic.

Thank you for this CustomOrgan definition file. It is installed here and works nicely.
Presumably it was created using your MYCO-2012 program?
If so, it proves that creating an ODF with it can be done very quickly indeed!

I fully understand that the samples created are in their early stages and that several additions like release tails and maybe attack leads need to be added.
Do you plan to make creation of these refinements, to strengthen sound "realism", also part of your SampleSetCreator software?

All the best.

Erik.

josq

PostTue May 29, 2012 11:56 am

You have very interesting software projects! MDA should hire you as a software engineer ;)

BachsFugue

PostTue May 29, 2012 5:49 pm

I am fascinated by your projects. I have downloaded MYCO and your most recent synthesis software.

I've noticed that your harmonics are the odd ones. If you add the even ones some of us who use(d) drawbar Hammonds could work on recreating some our old combinations.

Just keep working at this, you're doing a great job so far.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

musicalis

PostFri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am

Thank you for your posts.

I continue working on this new software, but I am working on several projects at the same time and some compositions are asked to me, so it seems that I do not progress quickly, but I work several hours everydays.
I am adding a FM modulation to the samples, very slow et with very low amplitude. For each note, each harmonic has a ramdom frequency, so each sample is slightly different and we avoid unwanted phasing effects.
There are now odd and even harmonics,, did not you notice it on the screenshot?

One of my other projects is the sampling of an organ of Grafhorst (NL). I do that we two friends living there. They have recorded the pipes and I make the graphics and write the ODF. It will be ready soon.

joeroberts

PostSun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 pm

erikds wrote:
musicalis wrote:I started to write a software that makes sample-sets very quickly. The software is still in prototype stage, but the results are encouraging. You will find at the address http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/ a Rar file containing a dozen of 5 octaves stops given as examples. These stops have not yet release tail, so they are dry, but with some reverb they are already pleasant to use.

Very interesting.

To find out how these synthesized stops sound, what is needed to be able to play them from the keyboard?

All the best.

Erik.

Hi...I DL the 800500rar file but cant get it to work on either my St Annes or Paramount 310.??? Please advise.. Thanks, Joe

erikds

PostSun Jun 03, 2012 3:26 pm

joeroberts wrote:Hi...I DL the 800500rar file but cant get it to work on either my St Annes or Paramount 310.??? Please advise.. Thanks, Joe

Have you downloaded the COMD file that was made available here?
http://organ.monespace.net/800500_demo/SampleSetCreatorDemo.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml

This has to be placed in the Hauptwerk subdirectory where you have the other Custom Designed Organ Files.

All the best.

Erik.

musicalis

SAMPLE-SET CREATOR IS READY

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 am

The version 1.00 of my software SampleSetCreator is ready and free.
You can get it at http://organ.monespace.net/SSetCreator/
Please notice :
As there is no user's manual, here are some informations :
- Download the software (191 kb) and place it anywhere in your computer
- Samples can be created only on your drive D:/ in a folder "samplesetcreator"
- In this folder, a new sampleset will be in subfolders ("800500 "by default)
-You can create : a single sample, a whole stop or an entire sampleset
- To create a single sample, set the midi note number of the sample and the stop name.and click on "CREATE"
The parameters of the sample can be set manually or ramdomly or using a preset button.
- To create a whole stop, set the first and last note and press "Create Sample Set"
- To create an entire sampleset, repeat previous operation.
- To use your sampleset, move the subfolder inside Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/OrganInstallationPackages and build a custom organ.

Have fun ! :lol:

joeroberts

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 am

:mrgreen: sorry folks.....dumber than dumb (me)...i have not a clue as what you're trying to tell me......thanks anyway for the responses....i guess i will stick to with what i have (and be totally satisfied) as it is working perfectly....

musicalis

PostTue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 am

Hi

If you want to try quickly the sounds, use the custom organ :
SamSetCreator-Presets Demo-(800500).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml
the file is here :http://organ.monespace.net/SSetCreator/SamSetCreator-Presets%20Demo-(800500).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml
after you have created a sampleset 800500 using every of the presets (basson 16, Bourdon 8 ...)
To make this sampleset, you can let the parameter increment on the value "4", this will create only the notes C, D#, F# and A, unless you want the full stop, setting increment = 1.

CAUTION

Your samplesets will be created inside a folder called "SampleSetCreator".
With this first version (1.00) , this folder can be only in the drive D.
If the folder does not exist, the program will create it.
If you have no D drive, try to save the samples on a USB key (D:/) or a virtual drive (D:/)

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs