It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

New Sample Set Project

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

kiaya611

New Sample Set Project

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello,

I have been thinking of unusual sample sets to add to a theatre organ (in most cases), because they have less contained "rules" compared to classical/orchestral pipe organs. I really like the Hand Bell idea that engrssc brought up. That could be a great voice to add as a percussion solo voice.

My thought is on the odd side and I am not sure how it would be achieved with a static note system, when this instrument is extremely portamento and the way it operates and how you get vibrato and other effects would be very difficult to implement in a fixed key situation. I could see it as a solo stop, but almost more on a modern digital orchestra type instrument where it uses all samples of real instruments, verses an instrument that does use samples, but of a single instrument (the pipe organ). There are plenty of sampled voices for just about anything now, but adding them to a "standard"...at least to a degree, would be difficult. Here is an example of what I am speaking of. It is a Theremin and played with an orchestra backing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7sXKGZl2w&fbclid=IwAR1alJ83cfOaM75gdxxkI9js6nJa6vAR8BphIbzA5F_biBmmRp-iEw4x5hU Before anyone dismisses this as "crazy", just imagine it as a solo stop that is different that any other (at least that I can think of. Thank you, Steven

Frank_VTPO

Re: New Sample Set Project

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello!
The instrument capable of doing this possesed a string above an electrical contact which was closed by pressing the string down with one finger (position and touch sensitive); it was called Trautonium (Paul Hindemith has composed for it).
The basic set-up is quite simple: http://www.doepfer.de/R2M.htm
One would have to add such a "string manual" above the conventional keyboard(s).
Just as a thought how this could be handled ...
Regards,
Frank

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs