It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

Sampling video tutorials

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Romanos

Re: Sampling video tutorials

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

Interesting... I wondered the same thing.

giwro

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 pm

So, I've finally added another tutorial - this one is on noise reduction:
http://www.evensongmusic.net/?page_id=2953

Enjoy!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

dkoschinski

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your new video ! Interesting that you use the SoundForge NoiseReduction 2.0 plugin for denosing.
This plugin (although a bit older) is still very useful, but it also has its quirks. Some remarks:
* It's a great idea to cut the low (rumble) per octave with a low-cut option of the EQ. But I always remove this manually using IzoTope RX (with all unwanted disturbances below the lowest frequency of the sample) .
* I noticed you have the 'Reduce Noise db' parameter quite low at 14.9 dB. (the maximum is 100 db.). Is there any special reason for that? I imagine that more noise will be removed if this parameter is set higher (for example to 80). Then the additional denoising steps may also be unnecessary.
* In your video you have set the release parameter to the highest (long) setting in editing phase 1-3 and 'slow' in the following phases. I would not recommend the latter. But I also don't understand why this difference was chosen. Sometimes it is more desirable that the length in which the filter operates is not too long, but not too short either. If I were to use it I would choose value 20 for wet samples (3 seconds and more). If it concerns dry samples (or <3 seconds of acoustics), a lower setting than 20 will be fine. Remember: the release parameter cuts the acoustics if the value is too low !.
* It will also be interesting to experiment with the 'Windowing FFT' size parameter along with the 'Window overlap' parameter. My experience with this plugin is that aliquots, 2 'and 4' stops can be edited really fine with value 16384, but for 8 'stops (for major and minor octave) the setting 8192 is more to recommend up to 4096 for 16' stops especially in the large octave.
* A disadvantage of this plugin is the so named "gating effect" that can sometimes be heard in the attack of a sample. It's attack value is really fast, but unfortunately not fast enough. While editing, I would therefore hard-edit the absolute starting point of the sample or mask the gating effect @ the start with a fast noise-gate setting (also one of the SF plugins).

Kind regards, Danny
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs