It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Creating _rar install files in Hauptwerk 5

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

larason2

Creating _rar install files in Hauptwerk 5

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello all,

I have created some custom organs that I want to distribute. I have succeeded in creating the appropriately named .CompPkg_Hauptwer_rar files using the "rar" program that I know contains the files, and is the appropriate size, however, when I open them in Hauptwerk, nothing comes up on the installation package menu (there are no organs or other elements to install). I'm using Terminal in Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.5 with the free download "RAR" program from RARlabs. I'll go through the steps I'm using to create the RAR file:

1. Type cd(Space), then drag in the folder containing the files I would like in the RAR file, then hit "enter"
2. Drag in the "RAR" program, then type "a(space)", then drag in the folders I would like compressed, then hit "enter"
3. The program creates the "RAR" file, which I rename to the appropriate file name for Hauptwerk.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

mdyde

Re: Creating _rar install files in Hauptwerk 5

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Hello larason2,

As well as having the correct file extension ('.CompPkg_Hauptwerk_rar'), the RAR-created files must also have the correct folder structure within them, with the one or more of the following folders at the top level in the RAR:

OrganDefinitions
OrganInstallationPackages
Temperaments
ImpulseResponseReverbs

If you have the 'Hauptwerk sample set creator utilities' licence option in iLok, then the 'Design tools | View organ definition format documentation' menu option will be present, which has the necessary information. (If you don't have that, then please email Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com to get it, as well as the sample set creator's guide (which also covers the need to obtain appropriate unique OrganIDs, InstallationPackageIDs, etc. to allow for public distribution).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks Martin, I have sent him the email.

Regards,

larason2

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the developer links Martin/François.

I got the installer packages working as desired. I found that the mistake I was making was not adding the "-r" command when using the command line program in Terminal. Once I added that command, everything worked as desired. Thanks again.

Cheers,

mdyde

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Excellent -- thanks, larason2.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs