It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

Article on 1-bit recording & Korg MR-1000 field recorder

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

bcollins

Article on 1-bit recording & Korg MR-1000 field recorder

PostThu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm

[EDIT] Sorry, I forgot to link the article the first time around. My bad.

I found this article simple to understand, yet informative as someone who has always had an interest in recording, but no formal training. And it helps the lay person understand all this 16bit v.s. 24 bit stuff relative to HW samplesets.
I'm soliciting comments and opinions from those with more technical expertise than I, regarding the possible use of this Korg MR-1000 unit for sampling organs.

Or are there other 2 channel digital recorders that you samplers like/use in the => $1K ish range?

Right now, I am using the following setup - not to sample pipes (yet), but to make "live" organ recordings:

A factory matched pair of R0DE NT1-A microphones -> Mogami Gold cables -> Presonus Bluetube DP mic preamp -> Monster cable (gold) 1/4' TRS to stereo 1/8" phono. Then finally into the 'line-in' of a Zoom H2 recorder.

So far I have only recorded at 24bit/48KHz because I only had a couple of 512MB SD cards. But now I have a 2GB card and intend to try 96KHz.

My experiment is to put all the money (what I can afford anyway) at the front end, and try this little $200 recorder at the back end.

The result is pretty amazing I think, although I still haven't got the right blend of setting gain on the preamp, driving the tube - or not, and setting levels on the H2.

The first time I tried it I had good gain on the preamp, but was too hot into the H2 and I got a lot of clipping on full(er) registrations. The second time out I compensated by setting the gain on the mic preamp lower, which I have since learned - by visiting several audio forums - was a mistake.

However, here is an example (reduced to a 16bit-44.1KHz wav file) of that second set of recordings I made of the organ at Zion. The organist is James Pressler. Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 649
Bob Collins

jbayles

Zoom

PostWed Jun 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Have you tried recording using the mic built into the Zoom? I know it wont be as good but is it "unacceptable"?

bcollins

PostWed Jun 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Oh yes, I have tried the built in mics plenty. They're not bad for portable. But they are very small diaphram. When I first got the unit I was amazed at how good they are. But then I got the R0DE NT1A mics...

When you compare recordings head to head the difference is like walking outside on a sunny day, and looking outside through tinted glass.
Bob Collins

kvaca

PostTue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 am

Sorry,but It looks like theres no problem in mics diagram/quality small diagram mics like DPA and Schoeps are usually preferred for recording organs,especially for ambiental records/, the problem is that they are crappy ones against Rode...

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs